• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fire wall

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bodezafa

Have you seen this stolen Quad? Stolen in Omaha,Ne
Like most of us here I leave my pc on 24-7 to run SETI, And Im on a cable modem. I leave It also on so SETI can update as needed.
Im useing black ice as my fire wall Do you think this is good enugh? what do you guys use?

I use Norton personal Firewall, works great it auto detect everything coming in or out and configures it ( basically finding out if it's harmful or friendly info) When you first set it up you have to run a active scan to see what items you have on your computer will even access the internet.

I was just using Zonelarm, but I recently added a Linksys router; it seems to have reduced the 3 of scans coming in.

There have been other threads discussing firewalls, a lot of good info- check 'em out.

Fire Wall

I use a Netgear RT311 router/firewall. I may end up replacing it with a home built Linux setup to allow for better logging...if I ever get off my butt and figure out Linux!

Cy

Whassup guys excactly what is diffrence from a Network 4 port hub to a 4 port switch to a 4 port router/switch I've seen these all at fry's Electronics the last one being the most expensive almost 260 bucks.. i'd like to get a netgear one, since i already have 4 netgear cards in all of my Seti boxes in my barracks room.. :p
Thanks

Hub and switch

Toomny,

A simple explanation is that a hub will send any and all traffic to all ports regardless of destination. A switch does not do this, it learns which port each MAC address (for each system etc.) is on and will only send traffic to the correct port. This allows for faster traffic by reducing collisions and increases security. A router switch is a regular network switch with a router built in such as for a xDSL or cable connection. The router is able to properly send traffic to that particular connection type. My RT311 also has a built in firewall. The router talks to the cable modem and to the local network switch.

Generally switches are best for speed but limit the ability to "watch" the network since not all traffic is sent down every port. Since switches are not much more than hubs these days most people get them instead. HTH.

Cy
:)

Back