• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI 875p NEO FISR PCB v2.0 got info?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frog_Qc

Hi everyone!

i just got my new parts for my cpu... i got the MSI board... 875p NEO FISR v2.0, i didnt find review of that board (only v1.0 of pcb). i wonder to know if this board is better/worse for OC'ing and if i need to know something, else than changing the chipset cooler. i got (like u can see in my sig) a Northwood 3.0C... for now im a 227 fsb (3.405g). i ran Prime95 but i got an error after 1h31min... its quite early.. my PAT is set to normal... i didnt chek my # on the chip...(i mean idont remember...) but ill chek it when ill got my sp-94 and my NB-1c :D I never push my 3,0C over than 230 fsb but i got alot of crap.. unstable program.. etc... my Vcore is now to 1,5375V and from the corecentre i can read at full load 1,52-1.51, and idle 1,52-1.53. some1 know if the corecenter is a good way to read temp and voltage? at max load (prime95) my temp is around 54-55c and idle is.. (quite impossible) 27-30c but my case temp is 34-35c (searching for the bug to..) ... last thing.. can some1 tell me where is the case sensor (diode) on this mobo?

thx all hope u can help to know more about this version of that great board!

Frog

Hey Welcome to the Forums!!!

Okay, onto the actual questions.
i just got my new parts for my cpu... i got the MSI board... 875p NEO FISR v2.0, i didnt find review of that board (only v1.0 of pcb). i wonder to know if this board is better/worse for OC'ing and if i need to know something, else than changing the chipset cooler.

The version 2.0 just means that the board has an upgraded BIOS on it, it doesn't change the layout of the board at all, so a review like this one still applies except for the problems that they had with the BIOS. The revision 2.0 probably fixed most of the problems that X-bit had with the board's BIOS.

my Vcore is now to 1,5375V

Well for the Northwoods, you can safely take the vcore up to 1.60 ( or a little higher... maybe 1.63V) as long as your temps stay fairly low. By fairly low, I mean staying below 55°C load temps. The max temp for a Northwood is apprx. 65°C but Thermal Throttling kicks in way before that so you get reduced performance ( as well as an unstable overclock) if your temps climb too high.

Most of the people around here will tell you that the Corecenter is a pain in the butt to use. I was never able to get it to work right and my overclocks were never stable when I used it. I would recommend unistalling Corecenter and then downloading Motherboard Monitor 5 to monitor your temps. It works a 100% better IMO.

BIOS works much better for oc'ing ( it takes a little while to get used to, but it is more efficient) and you'll find that you can oc higher with BIOS b/c you're less likely to freeze in Windows. A few things to do when oc'ing in BIOS.

1) For now, leave your memory timings set by SPD ( I think it's under Advanced Chipset Options... you can change them yourself later to max out your oc but until you know what you're doing, you're more likely to mess up your oc.)

2) Set your DRAM FREQUENCY to AUTO

3) Set Spread Spectrum( I think that's what it's called) to DISABLED

4) When you oc, you should notice that your PCI/AGP clock changes... you'll want to lock it to 66.66/33.33 ( if you're oc'ed, it may only lock to 66.67/33.34 or something like that, but that's fine).

After that, change your FSB to the oc that's stable for you ( just don't go crazy with it, you won't reach 4 gigs on stock voltage :D ). If will boot into Windows, I would recommend running Prime 95 to test if your oc is stable or if you're getting HDD corruption ( when you're clock is too high with not enough voltage you're cpu will make errors and you get HDD corruption if you let it stay that way for too long). If you can run Prime's Torture test ( go to Options, select Torture Test and choose In-Place ( the middle choice) for about 6 hrs it's considered stable enough to increase the oc. Now I know you're probably not going to want to sit six hours to increase you're overclock... so what you can do is increase your oc until Prime fails within a few minutes ( or seconds) and then go into BIOS and either reduce your clock or increase your cpu voltage.

To check your cpu speed and vcore ( and memory clock), most of us use CPU-Z. You can't beat it for the amount of info you get in a few seconds.

I can't think of too much else, but I'm probably forgetting something.... so if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Later,

mtb856 aka "meatball"

HI meatball!

i readen alot of ur tips! u are always online... anways thx! im not "new" for OC cause i read SO MUCH about it.. so i know enought to be able to OC.. i never tried the corecentre to OC... really great crap.. yup! :D i always use the bios... so im happy to have the 2.0 of the bios cause i know that this board have trouble in the bioswith the v1.0.. anyways.. i already updated my bios hehe.. thx for the monitoring.. ill uninstall right now my corecenter and chek the monitor... i hope is better to see voltage to.. i need to see it :) i want to know if my Aerocool's psu is great and stable..

for the Vcore i only increase it to 1.5375V cause i have the stock HFS.. so i got AS5 for thermal compound but ... even the HFS from intel for the 3.0C have a copper heart but that'S not a SP-94.. hehe i saw many pplz increasing the FSB to 240 on stock Vcore.. i was wondering to do the same thing... i know now that i cant do that...

i ran prime95 a night long... (2 prime95 in same time) with the hardcore test toture (the highter) bit i got an error in 31 min.. its fast.. but i think i got to hight with this test :D i tried the same test with only 1 prime95 but i got an error after 1h31... its quite fast... but its again the highter torture test... ill try this night for the middle one... maybe ill pass that one hehe

anyways thx again for those info... can i hope to have good result with the chipset 875? i hope... all folks are on 865... is it only for the price?

i got another question for the RAID function... if i buy 2 Sata 36G 10k RPM and i plug them in RAID 1 or 0 (dont know which one is better for OS) could i hope to have a faster OS (i know its always windows...) (ill install my OS on them)? and do u have a long period AFTER booting to wait before u can connect to internet and do something ? that's happen after installing the SP1 and i know a patch for that.. but its an english one.. i never found it in french (my os is in french and i cant install the english version of the patch) do u have an idea to correct that "error" from windows?

anyways its enought long... thx for answer..!

Frog

hi again

i just installed the mem5 and its really weird... it dont read the Voltage and the temp at the good place.. i have no case temp... a cpu temp..really slow to get up or down.. (i think its the case temp..) the 12V say 1.4V.... its all F**ed up... any idea?

Frog

Hmmm, did you pick the right mobo when you were setting up MBM5? I had to pick on that was similiar b/c they didn't have my model... but I would think that they would have your mobo. If redoing the installation doesn't work, you might try using Speedfan... I haven't used it, but several guys around here have recommended it as an alternative to MBM5. If that doesn't work, I would just go back to Corecenter.... I haven't tried it lately, maybe they fixed all of the bugs that I had problems with. I'll try downloading the new Corecenter when I get home ( if I can remember, I have short term memory problems, lol) and see if it works better.

My Corecenter wouldn't read my temps as 49°C and they would never move.... idle and load temps were the same :rolleyes: . Hopefully they at least fixed that.

I don't use MBM5 to read my rails b/c it doesn't work for me either. I use it for monitoring temps only, primarily b/c it gives you the temp reading in your toolbar. Corecenter you have to click on to check your temps... and the temps have usually changed by the time that it loads up.

I use CPU-Z for my vcore and clock speed, I don't really monitor my rails b/c the Windows readings are usually wrong anyway. I'd use a multimeter to check the 12V line and the other rails.... I have the Antec TrueControl so I can vary my rails if need be.

anyways thx again for those info... can i hope to have good result with the chipset 875? i hope... all folks are on 865... is it only for the price?

That's why I bought a 865... the PFS was an awesome deal and I was looking to save a little money so I could get some nicer parts elsewhere.

i got another question for the RAID function... if i buy 2 Sata 36G 10k RPM and i plug them in RAID 1 or 0 (dont know which one is better for OS) could i hope to have a faster OS (i know its always windows...) (ill install my OS on them)? and do u have a long period AFTER booting to wait before u can connect to internet and do something ? that's happen after installing the SP1 and i know a patch for that.. but its an english one.. i never found it in french (my os is in french and i cant install the english version of the patch) do u have an idea to correct that "error" from windows?

I know absolutely zip about RAID... for a faster loading time, it would have to be in RAID 0 ( data striping mode) because RAID 1 just creates a mirror image of the master drive onto the slave, I know that much. I'm looking at a RAID 1 setup on my computer for security reasons but I have to do some more research on it.

I don't see why you would need a much faster loading time if you have a 10k rpm drive though, the Raptors are plenty fast already :D . You might try posting in the HDD section or do a search for RAID 0 b/c I did one and I found 3 or 4 threads on RAID setups for the WD Raptor drives.

i ran prime95 a night long... (2 prime95 in same time) with the hardcore test toture (the highter) bit i got an error in 31 min.. its fast.. but i think i got to hight with this test i tried the same test with only 1 prime95 but i got an error after 1h31... its quite fast... but its again the highter torture test... ill try this night for the middle one... maybe ill pass that one hehe

Yeah, I would just hold off until you get the new HS and then raise your vcore a little bit.... You should be able to run Prime for 12 to 24 hours with no problems before you can consider your overclock stable.

Alternatively, you could try using FAH ( Folding at Home)... it's a program that uses the cpu cycles that you're not using to run protein folding simulations to find the cure for Alzheimers and other diseases. If you click the link to it in my sig, you can find out more about it... the ocforums are Team32 and if you go to this LINK ( it's the actual FAH website) you can find out more of what they do and also you can find the ranks of the teams. It's one big race, so we need all the help that we can get :D I think that we're third place at the moment but some of the other forums are catching up fast.

But the FAH program will run your cpu at 100% all the time, so its an excellent stability testing program. Now, most people ask me if running your cpu at 100% 24/7 is bad for it b/c my computer is on all the time. The answer is no b/c it's actually worse for you to shut your computer on and off all the time. When you shut if off and turn it on, the cpu goes through rapid warm up and cool down cycles... which over time form microscopic cracks in the cpu and eventually cause it to fail. Running it at 100% 24/7 doesn't harm your cpu and even if it did, it would take so long that you would have replaced the cpu for a new one long before it failed.

Anyway, thanks for considering it and good luck on your overclocking :)

thx again meatball :)

i ran prime95 for cpu at 220 fsb during the night.. (~8h) in the middle option... it passed the torture :D so i can say its stable as rock at 220.. quite low but.. just want my sp-94.. do u change ur chipset cooler? i suggest u to if u didnt do it... the NB-1C is so awsome! with a loud fan.. but 11.2 cfm!! for a chipset cooler all in copper! :D try to find better hehe its always like 5cfm max... but its loud .. like 34dB but with the corecentre u can auto-set the speed fan (its why i like this software)... if the mem5 work find ill just buy pot to set my fan :p anyways.. ill try to install again but i have choice with the neo FIS2R and the LSR with the chipset 875..... ill see.. i chosen the fis2r.. but maybe its the other one anyways... i have a question for the oc forum.. how can i put a pic? :)

For the Raid thing..just wanna to know cause ill buy a 200G SATA and a raptor for sure.. just curious to know if my OS can be faster if i do a RAID :D.

thx meatball

Frog

again me....

i reinstalled the mbm5 but smth strange i can have the right cpu temp... but no case temp .. i took the 875 neo LSR .. with the NEO FIS2R the cpu temp is the case temp... and the case temp is about 0... WTF!! ill try ur other software.. but i like the mbm5.. why isnt working... :(

frog

i have a question for the oc forum.. how can i put a pic?

There are two ways...

1) If you go to the advanced post selection, go down to Manage Attachments and select the file that you want to add. I think you're limited to a certain size of picture, though.

2) Sign up at a picture hosting website... I use www.photobucket.com ( it's free :) ) . Then when you upload your pictures to the website, all you have to do is highlight and copy the page the pic is on and put this in your post

[IMG*] Put url here [/IMG*]

and the pic should show up.

3) Alternatively, photobucket gives you the link with the tags already on it, so all you have to do is highlight and paste.

Here's a link to the [url=http://www.ocforums.com/misc.php?do=bbcode#imgcode]VBcode[/url] that this forum uses if you want all of them.

[quote]do u change ur chipset cooler?[/quote]

No I still have my stock cooler on there b/c I'm not sure if the NB1 ( or 1C) would fit. My NB HS is mounted sideways ( and I have a SLK-948, so it's even more cramped :P ) Here's a pic of my mobo if you want an idea of what I'm talking about. [IMG]http://www.msicomputer.com/product/mb_image/MS-6728-plat_large.jpg

My bro has the NB-1 so I might pop it off when he's not home to see if it fits, lol :D

ok... if u posted a pic it didnt work.. lol

i was asking for the "pic-side-of-the-name" like ur p4 lil guy hehe but thx for this info to hehe.

i already asked for my board to thermalright and the sp-94 AND the nb-1c fit on the NEO board cause this cooler is made to fite horizontaly cause our stock cooler is like that --> / ... hehe

ok.. now i know its not the good place to talk about that but i got ur attention :D i installed the mbm5 third time.. it cant read right the temp.. so i try the speedfan... (strange soft) but its quite bettre for me than the mbm5... otherwise... its so strange.. to know what is the temp of my cpu (cause its write temp1 temp 2 temp3... etc..) so i started a torture test :p and it go up to 48°c so... i think i found wich one is it.. the fact is when i stay to idle my temp. (like the in the corecenter) is below the case temp (case : 35 cpu: 30-32) WTF! i know its impossible... but in windows my cpu temp is lower than the case temp... so i whent to bios.. just after i was in windows... bios read just after the reboot : cpu- 34°C case- 37°c.... WTF i wait a lil and the cpu go up to 39-40 and case temp stay at 37°... so i can say my idle temp in the BIOS is around 40 and in windows its 30... case temp.. always 35-37... im really f*cked up.. . another thing.. when i boot in windows if i chek the temp just after booting the temp is the same as the bios.. but go down after few minutes... windows can decrease temp????

thx to try to understand that..

Frog

i was asking for the "pic-side-of-the-name" like ur p4 lil guy hehe but thx for this info to hehe.

Oh, the avatar.... as far as I know you have to have 50 posts before you can load an avatar ( although i'll have to check, they may have increased it). To get to it, go to the top of this page and click on Quick Links, click on Edit Avatar, and follow the instructions from there and your good to go.

I used a .GIF animator to make mine, but most people just use a picture.... the hardest part is compressing the image enough to match their limits.

Oh, here's a link to my mobo since the pic didn't work LINK at least I hope the link works :\ .

when i stay to idle my temp. (like the in the corecenter) is below the case temp (case : 35 cpu: 30-32) WTF! i know its impossible... but in windows my cpu temp is lower than the case temp... so i whent to bios.. just after i was in windows... bios read just after the reboot : cpu- 34°C case- 37°c.... WTF i wait a lil and the cpu go up to 39-40 and case temp stay at 37°... so i can say my idle temp in the BIOS is around 40 and in windows its 30... case temp.. always 35-37... im really f*cked up.. . another thing.. when i boot in windows if i chek the temp just after booting the temp is the same as the bios.. but go down after few minutes... windows can decrease temp????

Well, your load temp doesn't sound bad at all for your setup, but the idle temp is definitely out of whack.

To answer your question, No....Windows won't have a lower temp than BIOS, so there's something strange going on. I would say that you can trust the 40°C idle temp, that's pretty standard for the stock cooler.... it'll probably drop to about 35°C when you get the SP-94. Probably the first thing I would recommend ( this is off topic) is to try and lower your case temps... try cutting out your metal case grills or installing a blowhole.... organize your wires... that sort of thing to get those temps down. Your cpu temp is directly related to your case temp, so to lower your cpu temp you'll have to eventually do some work to lower your case temp.

Anyway, back on topic.

What I would guess at this point is maybe the BIOS for you board is screwed up.... one of the other guys around here flashed to the newest BIOS for his MSI and his cpu load temps dropped to -21°C ( yes, that is a negative number, lol ) so it's very possible that your BIOS could be messed up for the idle temp. Another possibility is that the BIOS messed up your case temp and that it's reading a higher case temp than you actually have... I would almost lean that direction b/c your idle (40°C) and load (48°C) temps are reasonable for your setup.

Do you have a thermometer ( analog or digital) that you could use to measure your case temp? I'm talking a kitchen thermometer here, not anything fancy... :) That would probably be the easiest way to check.

If I forgot anything, just mention it in your next post :)

Oh BTW, another reason I'm probably going to stay with my stock NB cooler is that I have to replace the transmission in my Jeep, which is looking to be totaling over 2000 dollars.... so my money is going to be sucked into paying for that :(

i know that the case temp is important so i have NO extra cable... my case is a X-gear Aspire and it got a window so i need to get it clean ! hehehe so i have a good air flow.. i thing its my case temp the "blacksheep". Cause u can read my config on the other thread (about temp that u juste reply) and i got anought fan...if i slow my case fan.... i got no difference between before and after for the case temp.. but the cpu's temp increase a lil bit. hehe i use now speedfan... its great! but temp are low! im at idle (windows) 25°C and full load (doom 3 :D or prime95) ~48°C max.. so.. my sidepanel blower with a tube is awsome!!???? its help for sure hehe but that much i dunno... 25°C at idle.. it seems i cool it with water! lol... i got those temp before i flash my bios :) so isnt the flashing fault! hehe

Frog

Side panel blower?!!!

Is that a joke or are you actually serious? If so I guess it's possible that you're idle could get down to 25°C, but that would totally depend on what your case temp is ( although with side panel airflow, it's more dependent on your room temp than your case temp). Did you see my little tip of using a kitchen thermometer^^^ ?

I think I may give Speedfan a try at some point since you like it so much, maybe it is better than MBM5.

lol i like its better than mbm5 cause mbm5 doesnt work :p but its pretty good... and yea i got a side panel blower WITH a TUBE lol.. the tube finish a half inch (little less) of the cpu fan :D so my cpu fan take only room temp air (~23°C)... but the heatsink still in the case... i dont have any sensor... even a single thermometer... lol im never sick... :D so its hard to know... maybe ill buy a cheap one just to see :p i need to much thing for my money now.... lol.. sp-94, NB-1C, 120Ghdd, 74raptors, thermometer... maybe pot to ajust fans speed... damn... my poor money... :bang head hehe well i got a good job... hehe :beer: not much to say... but for sure ill buy all those stock in a few weeks :santa2: anyways i dont have a car so i dont have to spend all my money on it :p beautiful city hehe

out of topic... do u know how to stop that delay after the windows boot? i got the sp1 and cause of this "update" my comp take an hour to "i-dont-know-what" after the booting.. i need to wait a couple of min to connect to internet or have acces to the parameters of my cpu... (like cpuz) or just system in control panel... but i can open control panel or non-infosystem-directory....

Frog

Frog , be careful when mounting the SP-94 as the heat pipes will hit your northbridge cooler

As far as speed fan do a seach on the MSI forums board for a guy called "Danny" he has the full instructions on how to set up "speed fan" for this board in his signature.( you can also use this board to answer the many questions that you have as they are a bunch on nice poeple all willing to help)

http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?sid=

I think you might be reading the wrong "temp" or do not have the right "Diode" configured. I could help you if you like but I would have to pull out my directions

Try Danny's setup , if it does not work post back and I will try and help

Good Luck
Dave

i again meatball and Dcasole

i whent a while on msi forum its good but they dont talk overclocking :p do u know some trouble with the INF driver? i got some u can read my new thread about that:
( http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=321047 )
i finally got my SP-94 and my NB-1C and its too damn good .. for the temp i just read what it was before and what is it now... on msi forum they told me that i need to put around 10°C more on my readed temp to have the "correct" temp...

so now with my sp and nb i got my cpu temp a 22 and my full load (prime95) 38° so if u add around 10... (its around 7 if i compare to bios temp) im at 32 idle and 48 full load... my sys temp is around 29-30... i did some modification on my case :D i did a 80mm hole in front of my vid card and i change my 80mm hole in front of my cpu to a 120mm :D:D more CFM and less noise ! so now my case is just around the room temp.. or next to.. lol anyways i got trouble with my video card now.. (as u can read in the my other thread) and that is from the INF driver.. can the INF driver stop me to overclock? cause its hard to go over 220mhz .. its quite low... at 1.5675Vcore... any suggest?? (msi forum are out of idea i think)

thx
Frog

Frog , what does it do when you overcloke it to far?
Does it just not post?
Does it Blue Screen?
Does it get to windows and then fail to load?
or are you getting memory dumps?

Also I have found " SpeedFan" to work much better than MBM ( Sorry Meatball :p LOL LOL)
If you go to the MSI site and seach for posts by " Danny " his signature has directions of how to set it up for your board

Dave

lol dcasole i know that .. danny just tell me that the some probe msi are 10° to low.. and if i chek with my fingeer 10 more is a good value... anyways...

when i overclock.. if i run prime95 after ~5 min i got an hardaware error... if i overclock to hight my cpu reboot... i had no trouble to boot windows ...
And to far is only 230...

Frog

intel said:
The Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility installs
to the target system the Windows* INF files that outline to
the operating system how the Intel(R) chipset components will
be configured. This is needed for the proper functioning of
the following features:

- Core PCI and ISAPNP Services
- AGP Support
- IDE/ATA33/ATA66/ATA100 Storage Support
- USB Support
- Identification of Intel(R) chipset components in
the Device Manager

I can't see why the existing driver on your system would be causing problems, it controls your AGP, PCI, and IDE's .....nothing that would have a serious affect on your overclock. Have you tried doing a search to see if there are any bugs with the new Intel driver?

BTW, what do you mean when you say your Ti4200 is running in PCI mode.... is it a PCI video card? Do you use modified drivers ( Omega drivers...etc) for your graphics card? They might be acting up with the new INF drivers.

When you say that your vcore is 1.565, is it set to that in BIOS or is that what you're reading in Windows? I'm asking b/c my vcore is set to 1.6V in BIOS, it runs at 1.56V idle and 1.52V while using Prime95.... so if you're at 1.56 in BIOS it may be undervolting to below stock voltages.

dcasole said:
( Sorry Meatball LOL LOL)

yuk yuk :D ;)

ok! lol

i got a AGP video card.. with last driver of nvidia (61.77).. (tried many) and i mean by pci ... if u chek in propreties of vid card u can see a the place it suppose to be writed 4x or 8x.. me its pci x0... i dunno why.. when i install the INF its up to 4x.. but my card is messed up...

for the voltage in cpuz im at idle ~1.556-1.564 and prime95 ~1,537... my stock Vcore is 1.5275....

why i cant rease my cpu over 225 mhz? i hope i can fix it... i thought it was the INF thing cause danny on msi told me to stop overclocking and try to fix the INF issu... cause INF suppose to help windows to run better... anyways i dunno about INF ..so i ask...hehe

Frog

if u chek in propreties of vid card u can see a the place it suppose to be writed 4x or 8x.. me its pci x0

That's really weird :eh?: I don't know what to tell you on that one... you'll probably have to wait for one of the video card forum guys to answer your question.

for the voltage in cpuz im at idle ~1.556-1.564 and prime95 ~1,537... my stock Vcore is 1.5275....

why i cant rease my cpu over 225 mhz?

Have you tried raising your vcore any higher than that to see if it helps, it could be that under load the vcore is getting too low and then your oc becomes unstable. Maybe running your ram at a slower speed than your cpu? Try setting the ram speed to 333 instead of AUTO and see if that helps any.

Back