• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What processor should I use for my new system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Clean_Baldy

I'm building a budget system (~$1,000)

I use adobe photoshop, AutoCAD 2005, and some other graphic intense applications. I mostly do solid modelling with my computer.

I plan on using 1GB of Corsair XMS PC-3200 memory (2X512) in dual channel.
I'll have a S-ATA hard drive.
and probably an ATI 9600 XT video card.

I've been doing so much reading on processors and the best choice for the cheapest cost, and my brain hurts.

I could go with an Athlon XP-mobile 2400+ and overclock it cheap, and get 2.2 GHz, I know that much.

As for the other processors, like Athlon64, and most of Intel, I'm lost.

Can you guys give me some good insight as to what my options may be? Help me choose! :)

I'd go with a Athlon 64 3000 or 3200 & a Gig of RAM defintely. The rest is up to you.

I'm looking into the viability of making a similar purchase, I'm just wondering what version of the 3200+ is recommended?

Looking at Newegg, I see Clawhammer vs. Newcastle, OEM vs. Retail, Mobile vs. Desktop.

Clawhammer > Newcastle
OEM > Retail
mobile?

they have no new OEM Clawhammers in stock save the mobile or refurbished models

Is a refurb too risky, should I just buy a Newcastle? I doubt they will have the desktop clawhammers back in stock, AMD stopped making them, right...?

*head spins*

Back