• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6800 GT Unstable O/C

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Liquid_Cooled

their is no doubt the 6800 GT can overclock to 6800 Ultra levels, but im wondering if the GT is stable at that level? the GT and Ultra have the exact same (pipelines, memory, features), the only differance is the higher clock speeds AND THE 2 MOLEX CONNECTORS ON THE ULTRA. does the Ultra NEED the extra molex to be stable at those levels? they must be there for a reason. i wonder if anyone else noticed this too. please help!

at ultra speeds only 1 molex is required, the 2nd one is only required if you are O/C past ultra speeds.

do you have documentation of this? Unless Nvidia pulled a huge 360 on principal, I doubt they want to advocate overclocking their cards.

My 6800GT runs at Ultra speeds with NO problems at all. 100% stable (I haven't seen a crash yet.. not in 6 hours of brutal Far Cry, not in 6 hours of Morrowind at max settings)

My GT will only run stable at Ultra speeds when the room is somewhat cool. I havent had A/C at work for 3 months and in the afternoon the card would start giving me problems when it got warm. Hopefully it will be stable well beyond that when I can afford the dangerden water block.

My Leadtek 6900GT is running 410/1.1 with no problems. :clap:
Played games for about 4hr's last night and it was fine. Even had most of the quality settings maxed out. :)

414 | 595 (1190) perfectally stable here. What happens is that when you OC past a stable point, you will litererly see the core starve to death from lack of power.

But yes, they do just above Ultra speeds. I think the average is 420 | 1150

I wish they put the extra power conector on the GT..... or is that the only difference between the ultra and GT? Of course I know the bios is different also.

maxwedge said:
I wish they put the extra power conector on the GT..... or is that the only difference between the ultra and GT? Of course I know the bios is different also.
No there are a few more resisters missing, but who really cares? We all got ultra for fairly cheap. Not like anything is gonna challenge the GPU for a long time.

I ran my 6800 GT for a week at 420/1.1 without a hiccup. Played games for about three hours also. That extra molex might be for those with weaker PSU's - which I don't have.

My GT ran fine at 420 until I tried Doom3 on it...at which time I noticed artifacts. I posted earlier somewhere about this, but check out Carmack's comments on the HardOCP.com Doom3 review.
Got it running at 400/1100 now and don't seem to have any problems with doom now...might be something of a Doom3 burn-in issue, lol, but Carmack seems right about what he said.
btw, running said game @ 1280x1024, 4X AA, 8X AA

Back