• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dying to OC my IBM-300GL P3-533.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chendy

Hi there!

I've got this IBM desk-top 300GL for a year now and upgraded almost everything... I'm using my PC mainly as a DVD-player for my CRT-projektor. The thing is: it doesn't have the speed needed for smooth DVD-playback. It could well be the badly written Beta-driver for the CineMaster (Ravisent) softwareplayer... Some know-it-alls suggested to upgrade my mobo and CPU to at least 900Mhz. Is this true???

Here are some URLs:
http://www.bulmag.bg/main4_2_1.html
http://www-4.ibm.com/software/os/warp/hw-cert/netlists/2962.htm

Before all of this, I would like to try out some OC-bussines! As I'm lurking on this Forum, maybe some of you experts can help out? I've bought these upgrades: 3.1 GB (prim) / 10 GB (sec) / 512Mb RAM / ATI Radeon 64Mb DDR / TerraTec X-Fire 1024 (for sp/dif output) / extra 2x coolers (small ).

The thing is I can't seem to find the type of mobo. Anyone? Inside there seem to be be 2 blue jumper-banks. One has got 4 jumpers, the other 8. My bios doesn't display the speed, so I need to know the jumper-settings. A friend of mine told me he thinks it's an Asus (?), because it also has an onboard soundcard. The type of CPU is a P3-533EB 133-bus slot-1. Please advise...

C. YA!

A 533 Should be fine for DVD decoding. I wouldnr reccomend overclocking if you dont hav ea backup machine. try PowerDVD or WinDVD :)

Hi chendy, wellcome to the Forum,
I suggest you to use Sisoft Sandra to identify your Mobo, or take a look directly on it, in the middle of the Pci's slot, for an alphanumerical code.

I hope it helps you ;)

Hi there!

Thanx! Woow, talk about fast!

I've tried everything, but the 533 seems to be too slow when using the Ravisent-Cinemaster... PowerDVD/WinDVD run along just nicely, but video-performance is average in comparison...

Where can I download the Sisoft Sandra?

C. YA!

Hi the Doors!

Thanx for the link!

Sandra says:
MOBO
manufacturer = IBM
MP support = no

SYSTEM CHIPSET
model = VIA Tech. Inc VT82C691/693A/694X Apollo PRO/133/133A System Controller

CPU
performance rating = PR636 (estimated)
multipier = 4x
generation = 6th (6x86)
model info = P6C (Coppermine) P3 E(B) 500- 1.13G 1.3-1.75V
revision/stepping = 8 / 1
stepping mask = cA2
microcode = MU 068105

MAINBORD UPGRADEABILITY
supported speed(s) = 733MHz (or more)
supported voltage(s) = 1.8V

So now I still don´t know what type of mobo I´ve got... What to do next? Oh I forgot! When looking up the alphanumerical code, could you give me some example? The last time I tried too look this up, I saw a whole lot of them. IBM suckz-z-z!

C. YA!

If Yes, well I can give you the Manual, and you can take a look to the Fsb Switch where you can set the desidered Fsb.
About the code, well must be a longer code on a white background (like a label), or a brand/model on the Mobo, but it's very difficult made an example.

If you can open your case, look for a small founded rectangle silver thing on the board (teh clock gen crystal) near that will be a small balck chip (the clock gen) it may say [ICS] if you can find something like that, your in luck...but tahts a 133Mhz FSB chip so it may be hard.

more info needed here... sum1 add to this.

Hi again!

Doors: it looks like it´s the one! Only mine has got 4x PCI, and only 2x RAM-banks... And my blue jumper-banks are located just above the speak/power-LED section. It´s also quite smaller than a "normal" ATX mobo. Maybe it´s a Mikro-ATX?

I´ve been seerching on-line, and this is what I´ve found:
http://www.rise.de/manual/download/r-67cw.pdf
The only thing is this one seems to be a 100MHz. But it also comes close!

Sohryu: if found, what to do with this chip?

Thanx for your quick responses!

C. YA!

Hi chendy,
Yes, your Mobo seems to be a MicroATX, and I've probably the manual right for you, the prob is that is bigger than the size permitted for a file attachment to a post, so I'll try to find the right link for you ;)

Hi there!

I just took a look inside, and I found a VIA VT82596B-chip on my MoBo. This is what I dug up (I think this is the right one):
http://www.fujitsu-siemens.co.uk/rl...rt/boards/motherboards/MS6156via/6156vaUK.pdf
The thing is my MoBo has only 3 PCI-slots, and 2 Dimm. I also have an on-board soundcard. And the 4 jumper-switches are also there, but not in the same place. And ofcourse slot-1!

The number between the PCI-slot is some kind of IBM part-number, I´m affraid...

What´s the next sensible thing to do? Suggestions please...

C. YA!
p.s: my 4 jumpers seem to be set to "on"

Well, I'm trying to download the manual fron IBM, but don't wanna connect trough Ftp, and I haven't the right Pc code, something like (6862/6892).
At this point, without the right Mobo manual, you can only try to set the Fsb Jumpers or the Dip switchs, but check before that is the right one looking around it for 'Fsb' (not 'Multip.), and try with an higher freq. if available.
The other way you've is to get another Mobo, new or used by a friend.

I'm sorry but it's all I can do for you :(

Hi the Doors!

Thanx for your help!!! Now if you want to give me the link to download the manual, I will try myself...

My model is: 6563-VCG

C. YA!

My prob with Ftp is connected probably to my dsl connection shared by a proxy server, so I never can browse Ftp with IExplorer, always works with Ftp connection of Windows Commander, but not with the Ibm: ftp.pc.ibm.com/pub/
so I can't check your link, I'm not joking, it's really like I'm saing :(

Hi the Doors!

OK! I read you loud and clear... But I made an appointment tomorrow with a friend who´s gonna give me a hand. So I´ll keep yu posted. In case of trouble, I´ll get back to you.

Thanx again!!!

C. YA!
p.s: any suggestions for a better cooler?

The best ways are the GlobalWin vos32 and the Alpha P3125 and always the thin layer of thermal paste.

Good Luck, and see you later ;)

Back