Help!! PC won't get into windows

I was using my pc today like normal when 70% of my apps stopped responding..I can't really do much to it at this point..so I hit the reset button.

It booted into the windows loading screen and even finished loading..but then it will stall at a black screen forever...not getting into windows.

Safe mode crashed before it even try to load windows

Then I decided that I sorta needed a format anyway...I booted up the winxp cd and everything was running fine till it stopped at the "Setup is starting Windows" screen. It would stall there forever, just like the black screen.

I've tried swapping memory since I have extra lying around..clearing out the bios, unplugging different harddisks...none of it helped..but i didn't expect it to, I was just trying anything.

It doesn't seem software oriented..since I can't even boot from a CD..and it doesn't seem hardware oriented since everything is always detected and all works well till it needs to load into windows.

Any ideas, suggestions, comments..? Any response will be greatly appreciated..thanks.

btw...i'm at a point where no overclocking is involved ...
    Intel I5 2500k @ 4.3ghz
    CoolerMaster Hyper 212+
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 (F10 bios)
    16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series (4 x 4GB)
    1xSSD HD
    2xSATA HD
    XFX ATI Radeon HD 6870

Forums Super Moderator
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor

10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile
    1) Check PSU, RAM, heat as the main culprits for locking up

2) This shouldnt be in general discussion. Probably would be better off in General hardware.

EDIT: Thanks for moving the thread Luta
    Last edited by David; 08-03-04 at 07:31 PM.
    David J. Nelson MChem(Edin) PhD(Strath) MRSC [ResearcherID: D-3927-2011] [Google Scholar]
    OC Forums Super Moderator // Overclockers.com Editor

The Workhorse: [Lenovo W510] Intel Core i7-720QM / 8 GB DDR3 / nVidia Quadro FX880M / Crucial M4 256 GB SSD / Windows 7
    The Home Machine: AMD Llano A6-3650 APU / 8 GB DDR3 / Lots of HDDs / Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case / Windows 7
    The Benchmarking Setup: Various LGA775 chips / Asus Rampage Formula / 2 GB OCZ 1066 MHz DDR2 / nVidia Quadro NVS 285 / 320 GB HDD / Windows 7 [ Untouched for well over a year ]

My research fellowship is eating all my time, so I may be slow to reply to emails and private messages.

hmm..yeah..it seems sensible...

but then I have the AC on in my room. I've swapped the ram out but didn't help. I've also tried another psu...which had a slight result. It booted into windows before it locked up. But then after a restart..it just froze at the black screen again.

After that, I thought that it would either be the psu or the heat since it took me a while to swap psu's..i figured the pc might've cooled down a bit. But after a few retries..letting it cool down and retry again...there has been no progress...so I think it might have just been a 1 time fluke.

yes...can someone please move this thread to a more relevant section...thnx
    Intel I5 2500k @ 4.3ghz
    CoolerMaster Hyper 212+
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 (F10 bios)
    16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series (4 x 4GB)
    1xSSD HD
    2xSATA HD
    XFX ATI Radeon HD 6870

10 Year Badge
    Author Profile
    You need to remove all cards except the video card. Disconnect all drives except one hard drive and one CD rom drive. Remove all but one stick of RAM. Boot up on Windows CD and try to install windows. If successful, you know that something you removed or disconnected was bad. Try them one at a time until you find the culprit.

If above not successful, then disconnect hard drive and CD rom. See if you can boot to bios. If successful, then check temperatures in bios. If normal, then one of the two drives you disconnected is bad.

If above is not successful, then you know that your problem is either mobo, cpu, psu, or video card. Try borrowing one of each and trying them to eliminate the culprit.
    Main Computer: INTEL 2600K; ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe; 850W Corsair; Antec P280 case;16 Gigs Corsair Vengance;EVGA 560 TI; 120 INTEL SSD; 2x500Gig WD HD; op system: Win 7-64; Backup computer:INTEL Q6600; 650W Corsair in Antec P180 Case; 4 Gigs RAM; EVGA GT430; Gigibyte P45T-ES3G mobo; 1x200 GB WD; 2x160 GB WD; 1x1GB WD. Operating system: Win 7 -64. ***Avatar by Gresyth***