• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

chawken or TC please read part 2 hehe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toomnymods

Well I feel like a idot for thinkin pc2400 corsair would get me any higher.. It isnt even stable at 155 fsb.. chawken or TC you guys have any ideas?? so far im stable at 153 using 16-8-6-2-6-2-2 i dont know what else could be wrong.. My temps in m room are like 59f to 63 f so I'm sure that isnt the problem.. :D :p what do you guys have enabled/ disabled in bios?? do you have the ide prefetch enabled? how about ide master udma? are you using any of the shadow bios stuff? and what about the pci latency timer?? i'm lost when it comes to bios settings.. For all I know I could have all my devices in the wrong damn slots causing conflicts..
God i have no luck..

It may very well be some of your pci cards, hard drive, or video card. Just as a test why don't you use very conservative memory timings, and try jumping up to 167 right where that extra divisor kicks in. That will run all of your pci and agp components at the default speed, while testing the limits of your ram and northbridge. I have to use the max ddr voltage on mine - period, it won't even post if I don't. Don't overclock the cpu any either. Try to isolate the problem as much as possible. You just want to see if your ram and chipset can handle the higher speeds. If it works, then chances are you were having problems with one or more expansion cards. If you want I will take pictures of my bios settings. Remember overclocking is not an exact science. It requires major patience, and you must work a problem methodically. You only want to deal with one variable at a time, so take the rest of the possible problems out of the picture for the time being.

That'd be awesome tc.. also what pci card go in which slots does it really matter in win 2k? on one board all I have is a 32mb agp card (cruddy one) us robotics modem 56k pci slot 3 and the netgear fa311 ethernet card sound good or bad?? on the other mobo is my main system.. containing Hercules prophet 2 geforce ultra 64 mb agp, Hayes V.92 56 k modem pci slot 2, Netgear Fa311 ethernet card Slot 3, Soundblaster live platinum 5.1 in pci slot 5
I think maybe I might have my pci cards in the wrong slots who knows.. anything is possible..
thanks for your help i really appreciate it..
By the way I'm taking my 1.4 outta the other raid board and slappin in that second mp Palamino :D :p

toomnymods said:
That'd be awesome tc.. also what pci card go in which slots does it really matter in win 2k? on one board all I have is a 32mb agp card (cruddy one) us robotics modem 56k pci slot 3 and the netgear fa311 ethernet card sound good or bad?? on the other mobo is my main system.. containing Hercules prophet 2 geforce ultra 64 mb agp, Hayes V.92 56 k modem pci slot 2, Netgear Fa311 ethernet card Slot 3, Soundblaster live platinum 5.1 in pci slot 5
I think maybe I might have my pci cards in the wrong slots who knows.. anything is possible..
thanks for your help i really appreciate it..
By the way I'm taking my 1.4 outta the other raid board and slappin in that second mp Palamino :D :p
I don't think it matters what card goes in what slot, well except for the apg cards ;)

A pci card can go in any pci slot, provided it doesn't cause a sharing conflict with an onboard raid controller. I'm not positive about this, but I think I remember the instructor for my A+ class saying not to occupy the pci slot immediately below the agp slot if you're using an agp card. Don't know why, but I've always followed that rule. You said you've got a cheap agp card - that could be a problem as well. Like I said, try getting right up there with the 1/5 divisor so you can rule out problems with your cards. If you're running in the 150MHz range you're overclocking the hell out of your pci and agp cards, not to mention your hard drive. I'll go see if I can get some pics of my bios settings. I already have pics of my KT7A bios online, which has some similarities aside from the ddr ram - you might want to peruse that while I get these pics up. Here's the link:

http://www.digi-source.com/bios.htm

Thanks bro I really appreciate it.. How long did your ram need to burn in before being able to hit 160 plus fsb with cas 2?? for now will try to go 166 with these timings will try after you respond if you think these are slow enough.. 16-8-8-3-2-2.5-2-2 think these will be safe enough.. also I'll use the x8 multi instead of 9..
Thanks..

Two more questions.. If i do happen to get into the 166fsb by some sorta luck is this gonna take the load off my harddrive?? (the fast fsb would like to run this within spec or close to it..) and the second question is what excactly is a pci latency timer (clk) I noticed this was one of the things added in the betta bios is set to 32 by default.. would this by anychance make me more stable?? just wonderin'

toomnymods said:
Thanks bro I really appreciate it.. How long did your ram need to burn in before being able to hit 160 plus fsb with cas 2?? for now will try to go 166 with these timings will try after you respond if you think these are slow enough.. 16-8-8-3-2-2.5-2-2 think these will be safe enough.. also I'll use the x8 multi instead of 9..
Thanks..

I've never "burned in" anything... I just crank it up right out of the box. The ram was no exception. I haven't found the need to burn in items such as cpu's and ram. Power supplies are a little different. As far as I know burning in is relegated to vacuum tube electronics.

Well I gave up on the corsair pc2400 memory.. brought it back to Fry's Electronics just then.. pretty sad that after all those bios tweaks the most I get it stable to was 152fsb with cas 2 would boot at 154 but got like 3,000 errors within 5 mins.. While on the other hand with those bios tweaks I'm now able to hit 157 @ cas 2 with crucial pc2100 weird I know.. I think my problem lies within my harddrives taking a beating... everyonce in a while when I reboot they say some file is corrupt and i need to reeinstall it ( really not, but the drives are reading it improperly..) I just back off the fsb and everything is fine.. will try some of these new bios settings with the crucial ram and see if I can get 167 at cas 2.5.. Wish me luck
thanks,
Chris

Last edited:
I'd be willing to bet that your video card and/or one or more of your other pci cards is holding you back. Hard drive could be too, but that doesn't cause the kinds of errors you're describing. If the hard drive can't handle the speed it usually corrupts the data, usually the boot sector is the first to go.

Back