• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6800 GT lifespan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Liquid_Cooled

i was just wondering what is the lifespan of the 6800 GT? how long do you think before nvidia/ati comes out with its replacement.

i have a 5900U 256mb and i thought this card was going to be a real performer for a while, but sadly no. i can only play doom3 smoothly at 1024x768 med detail.

damn it, my pump is dying......

well pretty much as soon as the fx line debuted everyone knew they were going to get replaced in a fairly short period of time. they just did not perform they way they should have for a modern (at the time) card.

the 6800's are a HUGE leap in performance over last gen cards and will probably last a good year or 2 is my guess. unless game makers start upping the anti by creating some really intense games that can bring these cards to their knees there is no need to come out with a faster card anytime soon

I'm sure the companies won't take long to come out with new cards because business is business... You never know if the advancements might be big or not even worth considering upgrading... Only time will tell...

I would wait for all of the news games to come out before upgrading. My friends comp has the non-ultra version of your GFX Card and his performs at only about 20 fps on 1024x768 on med. I think you guys may be looking at a driver update sometime soon because it doesn't really make sense that 5900s run so slow.

I would imagine that we will be looking at another line of GFX cards from these companies in 6-10 months. Like I said though, I would wait for a couple of weeks after Half Life 2 comes out to make a choice, probably have better prices and availabity anyway then. And I am sure you can wait, that 5900 Ultra can't be that bad. Doom3 looked great even at 20 FPS at your settings.

Back