• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Far cry headache

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

danr

Registered
can anyone tell me if this is normal. Ive got fraps running in the background and i have Far cry set to 1248 x 1024 - low aa low AS, med details levels and i only get 20-28 FPS when ruinning throught the village in teh training level. I have a 6800 ultra and 61.77 drivers. it really seems unplayable even at this medium detail setting. ?

Something must be wrong. What are your exact AA/AF settings and do you have them set in the game or in your drivers? Also, maybe you have some quality options in the drivers enabled? Check the drivers and make sure you're not actually running at full AA/AF and high texture detailing.

i have checked all the driver options, its set to performance and application controleld AA & AS. I get 12899 in 3d mark 03 and 69230 in aqua mark but it really lags when playing far cry. When i paid £410 for an ultra card i thought it would handle this with aplomb. i have patched it to 1.1. is there a history of nvidia cards not playing far cry well?

where can i get a copy of the 1.2 pathc. Ubisoft have withdrawn this version from their website and support.

no, the only reason i used fraps was to see what the fps was because it was so slow. ive upped my a64 3000+ to 2450mhz and it has improved it a bit but it still flickers quite a lot.

Hmm, how do other games run?

I just got my A64, I can't wait for Far Cry 64-bit edition!

Flickers? Could it possibly be your monitor? I have a 6800U and was experiencing a similar problem. Turned out the fan was not working properly and had it RMA'd. However, you've been able to run 3dmark tests, which would kabash that theory.

Even with v1.1 of FarCry I was able to get some hefty fps. 61.77 drivers are made to work with directx 9.0c. Have you tried installing the new directx runtime? How about an auto-detect in the video options of FarCry?

just bought a new monitor as i thought it was the problem, its a benq 767 12ms.
when i auto detect in far cry it puts everything to low setting.

i have direct x9b - do i really need to install x9c from the MS website?

its most noticable when for example i am standing at the base of a lookout tower, when i look left and right the legs break up when moving then instantly rejoin when the movement is slowed. i wonder if its the optical mouse? as its not as noticable when i move with the keys?

Could it possibly be your monitor? I have a 6800U and was experiencing a similar problem

just bought a new monitor as i thought it was the problem, its a benq 767 12ms.when i auto detect in far cry it puts everything to low setting.

that puts that thoery through the window lol.

Id rma your card

Phil

danr, I had the same exact problem. Whenever I did an autodetect it set everything to low settings. Upgrade to DirectX 9.0c, and find a way to get your hands on v1.2 patch. If you can't find it, send me a location where I can upload it and I'll send it over.

cheers mate,

i will have a look on imesh tomorrow and see if i can download it.

i will keep you posted on the effects

I read patch 1.2 was pulled because of compatibilty issues. I run FarCry on a 6800ulrta @ 1600x 1200, all settings maxed and haven't checked FPs but haven't noticed any lag whatsoever. Have u got vsync enabled? If so turn it off, but turn it on for Doom 3! :p

By chance is your card a eVGA??

I returned both a 6800, and 6800GT eVGA earlier today because they failed to run properly in Farcry, and based on what i'm reading, there could be a board problem with them. Also, I could duplicate a bad AA bug in the 6800 in Doom3 as well, we're talking 1FPS. Anyway, I got a BFG6800GT instead, and it works perfectly and doesn't have these issues. (and has a lifetime warranty)

Just wondering, i'm taking a wild guess you might have a eVGA, if i'm wrong, I will shut up.

I had problems zeroing in on drivers and also discovered that the power supply had a big impact on performance. The odds of two cards from the same manufacturer being faulty would be extremely high. What PSU are you using and what's the rig configuration?

FIXED!!

i installed direct x 9c and patch 1.2 and it now runs smoothly with all setting maxed out. slight tearing still but almost unnoticable and i think enabling v sync may help. will have another go after work.

the psu is an antec truepower 430w and ech power socket has its own power lead an dongle.

call me ignorant, but whats the EVGA version and how would i check ?

Back