• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gainward 6800 "Golden Samples" not really Golden Samples??? Whats a good alternative?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pollux

Gainward 6800 "Golden Samples" not really Golden Samples??? Whats a good alternative?

I've read that alot of people who paid for and ordered a gainward "golden sample" 6800 NU didnt get the red PCB, but the nvidia reference one, which couldnt run at the advertized speeds? is this true? and has the issue been fixed? i plan on ordering one very soon, but i want the performance im paying for. also, as an alternative, what brand on 6800NU do u recommend? The chaintech seems good b/c of its faster speeds, but it lacks ramsinks. The leadtek is at reference speeds, but it has a massive heatsink (is it loud?). The evga/pny/xfx all look like the nvidia refence cards. i know BFG is good, but i cant seem to find any of their 6800NU. if u own a 6800NU, which brand do u have and how does it perform? another thing is, the golden sample also happens to be a good $30 more than the other 6800NU's, so i may still go with something else thats cheaper. Heres the current listing at newegg:

eVGA 6800 - $283.00 (this one seems very popular )
XFX 6800 - $287.00
Leadtek 6800 - $287.50
Chaintech 6800 - $290
Gainward GS 6800 - $310

If you know of any sites with a better deal/selection, please let me know. Any feedback is appreciated.

Last edited:
i'd go chaintech...even though they dont have ramsinks they are using 2.2ns ram, so if you put on your own ramsinks you'll be in much better shape. 2.2ns ram is spec'd for ~900mhz so with cooling it could hit 1ghz i reckon.

xtrmeocr said:
i'd go chaintech...even though they dont have ramsinks they are using 2.2ns ram, so if you put on your own ramsinks you'll be in much better shape. 2.2ns ram is spec'd for ~900mhz so with cooling it could hit 1ghz i reckon.

woah, are u sure about that? if it uses 2.2ns ram why isnt it 900mhz stock? and do all of them come with 2.2ns ram? also, is the higher core clock of 358mhz accurate as well?

xtrmeocr said:
vid cards always seem to come with underclocked ram. and yait comes 358 core and 770 on the ram i believe.

edit:

hmm it seems they make two 6800's

take a look

http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/product_list.asp?MPSNo=14&SPSNo=43

This is odd, it appears that the 358/770 version HAS ramsinks, whereas the 325/700 one does not. on newegg the its listed as 358/770, but the picture does not show ramsinks. any idea which one they sell?

any idea about this chaintech? also, who sells the BFG 6800NU?

Last edited:
I had both eVGA 6800's, and took them back..

Went with the BFG6800GT-OC's, lifetime warranty, and the thing is GREAT so far... Best card i've ever bought.

Back