• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Voltage....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigDawg

Registered
This may sound like a stupid question to most but how do i lower the voltage to my core it is at 1.78 now and i thought that if i lower it a tad i might get lower temps....cpu is running at 39c idle. I went to bios and lowered the core voltage but it did not change in mbm5, am i doing something wrong or should i just leave it at 1.78. ? I am OC from 1.2 to 1.380mhz and fsb is 120. Maybe i shoudl leave well enough alone ?. By the way it is an Asus A7V133 mobo, with an AMD 1.2 ghz.

Thanks

Do you still have the manual that came with you're mobo? If so, it should be in the manual. If you don't have the manual you can download it from the Asus homepage.
P.S. Be careful when playing around with the core v.

Hmm. well, I find that mbm reports higher voltages than the "settings" in the bios.

mine is set at 1.80 and mbm reports 1.88

Some motherboards have a variance in what you choose in the BIOS for voltage and what is the actual voltage. When I choose 1.72 v-core in my BIOS my actual voltage is 1.85. I have a .12-.13 variance.

I've had a similar voltage-changing experience w/ my A7V133. Changing it in the BIOS is damn-near impossible. It dosn't do anything. Change it on the board. But if you're running @ 39c idle, then you don't have much to worry about. If you still wanna lower it, you could go as low as about 1.50 or 1.55 and not lose stability. Mind you, thats just what my chip is running at, and it could be higher for yours.

Excuse me, but how do you change the voltages(I/O and Core) via something else other than BIOS? Thanks. My BIOS doesnt have voltage settings to change. GVC AR862 mobo btw.

Thanks....

Thanks for the replies to my voltage question....and i do believe i will take your advice Oni and leave the voltage at the setting it is at now. I know my temps are pretty good but you know the lower the better !! LOL !!

Thanks

You should be able to change you're core v. by either jumpers or switches on you're mobo. To find out how to do this read you're mobos manual.

I've read my mobo manual quite a few times. There is nothing in there about changing my vcore. BIOS has nothing, there are only CMOS jumpers on the mobo.

You may have to resort to changing the L7 bridges on your chip to get a higher v-core. This is done similar to connecting the L1 to "un-lock" the multiplier.

Yeah, i thought about that, i saw a data table of vcore settings on some site but how do i go about "cutting"(separating) the bridges?

I am running a a7v board and have done the voltage mod and found that if you close the L7s you will no longer be able to adjust your voltage in bios it will read that voltage at startup.I think 1.63 is the low on this board and 1.87 is the high using the cpu vid jumpers in jumper mode if you cant change the setting i would wonder if the L7s are closed or maybe that is stock low voltage for that cpu. I know they made a bunch of changes between versions on that board. I wouldn't worry about how high the voltage is unless you want to go faster. I am running 1050 with this 750 duron took 2v to get it stable my temps run on the high side 45-49 but i am still air cooled with homemade setup. I can't think of a better reason to upgrade than a fried cpu! CAN YOU? it just won't die had it at 2.33v after the mod forgot to open the L7s she locked up at 65c before i figured it out but rebooted just fine. SOMEDAY!!!

the vio voltage u should be able to adjust on the motherboard itself.....no settings for this in asus bios.....it should be located near the psu connector.....at least that's where mine is.....it has 4 pins and a jumper that is covering 2 pins........
the default is covering the 2 and 3 pin........

btw if cover 3 and 4 pin that makes 3.6volts........and i think if cover 2-4 pins u will get 3.7volts.......at least that's what i heard from someone

hope that helps....

Would71 said:
You don't necessarily have to cut any of them. (to raise, anyway) Note that 1.85v is all closed bridges..

(to go lower, you'd have to cut one or more)

Dont tell me amd has putted some vcore lock on they`r newer chips???

Could adjust my vcore voltage just fine on my 1.1, abit kt7 board.

But after i boght an asus a7v133 and a 1.4g(266) cpu, no matter what i set it too in bios the voltage is still the same:(

Back