• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Horizontal or Vertical Rad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm using a D-tek WW, D-tek Pro-core (pre-modded '86 chevette core...), and a Swiftech MCP600 rev2. With my 38x120mm fan at an inaudible speed, my load temps are ~15c above ambient with my 2000+ @ 2ghz @ 1.86v. However, I can not pretend my socket temp is accurate so I really don't know how my system performs, just that it keeps my rig quiet and stable.

There

Cyrix_2k said:
I put mine there...

I contemplated the same idea, but was not sure as to the limited size that could be done compared to the bonneville core. Despite losing the 3.5 cages, I think I could relocate one of them above the psu, and having an fan pull air across them either in or out. Might even work up some elastic bunji setup for noise isolation. What core are you running above the psu and what kind of pump, block and temps are you seeing?

2Busy said:
I contemplated the same idea, but was not sure as to the limited size that could be done compared to the bonneville core. Despite losing the 3.5 cages, I think I could relocate one of them above the psu, and having an fan pull air across them either in or out. Might even work up some elastic bunji setup for noise isolation. What core are you running above the psu and what kind of pump, block and temps are you seeing?
Didn't I answer this above? :rolleyes: That bonneville of yours isn't going to fit the way mine did unless you relocate the PSU...

Cyrix_2k said:
Didn't I answer this above? ...

Sorry for the double post, my bad. Did not realize I had already asked you that a day earlier.................

i have seen on one case that they have the hds in a cage right above cpu and below psu i though it looked pretty cool

Guderian said:
I know someone put a third barb in the tanks, if thats what you mean.

Wasn't that you Thorilan? Or Weapon?

i put a cap on the top tank with a HVAC access valve just for the fun of it the other day -- I was tempted to use a presta valve instead but the access valve I had on hand was rated for some seriously stupid levels of pressure (450 psi or so) and it has a chemically resistant core...I didn't put up any pics or info on it as of yet as I haven't really had a chance to test it well enough so it must have been a different one. :)

edit - I suppose if you made the entire loop out of copper pipe, you could add another access valve, hook it to a vac pump, pull a vacuum and then let the pressure suck in the water when you fill it. hmmm...

I mounted my rad vertically, and didnt lose a single drive bay. And no, it's not small either. It fits 2x120mm fans on it. I just mounted it on the side of the case, beside the motherboard.
Rad1.jpg
Rad2.jpg
WC2_med.JPG

As you also notice, I pianted the fins as well. I figured it would probably hurt performance a little, but it still does a great job cooling. Right now my XP2400+ is [email protected] with a 2.00v core@44C load with 32C ambient. That's with this, an RBX, and an L30.

As for adding a third barb to bleed the rad, Procooling.com did this on their DH3.

Annoyingrob said:
I mounted my rad vertically, and didnt lose a single drive bay. And no, it's not small either. It fits 2x120mm fans on it. I just mounted it on the side of the case, beside the motherboard.As for adding a third barb to bleed the rad, Procooling.com did this on their DH3.

What core is that your running, and how thick is it?

Annoyingrob - did you happen to make a worklog for this project? when did you mount it there?

thats the same idea i had for my 2-302, i've been working on it for the last few weeks. i mentioned it to someone and he seemed to think it was the best idea ever.

Unfortunately I did not make a worklog of the project, but it really isn't that hard to do. It just involves taking everything out of the case, measuring out where the rad will go, cutting a big hole in the motherboard tray, seal edges up with weather seal, then zip tie the rad in place.

The radiator is a little thicker than an inch. There's about a 1/2" gap between the rad and the drive cages. I honestly can not for the life of me remember what car I ripped the heatercore out of. It was a really tall, ugly, boxy foreign hatchback. Possibly a Toyota. It looked like the previous owner changed out the core, and mounted this one in with duct tape. :)

I thought it was a good idea too. Originally I was thinking of buying one of those dual 80mm rads you can get at any online store, and putting it at the back of the case where the two case fans are, but then I got to thinking that I wanted performance, not ease of installation. I really like the outcome. It works great, and doesn't look all too bad either. The best part, in the hot summer, the fans blow on my while I'm working.

actually i'm more interested in a time line of when you did it, from what i was seeing noone had ever thought of putting one there..i actually thought i may have been the first, but i'm thinking i was wrong now...oh well.

i've been working on it for several weeks now, trying to get a job, deal with a girlfrind, and i just got my licence...its slow going.

Cant wait till i finish it though!

Back