• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Buy sold me a 21.3” LCD monitor that contained only a BRICK taped to WOOD..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnerma

...which they wouldn't take back.
No this did not happen to me. It happened to a friend of a friend and this was forwarded to me. You can find his email address at his public web site if you wish to contact him. Please don't post asking me what has happened to this guy since he wrote this. Neither I nor anybody else knows.

Details:
On August 4th, after a haircut, at about 7:15 I went to the Best Buy store in the city of West Covina, CA—in the Lakes Avenue--mainly to buy a Wireless PrinterServer. After picking up the Wireless PrintServer, my interest in purchasing a big flat screen monitor awakened.
I had seen the 21.3" LCD Samsung monitor previously and had always got my attention. Before I couldn't buy it because it was a big spending… so after working hard and staying up long nights I felt safe to finally buy it. I talked briefly to one of the sales representatives and decided to take the monitor. I was eventually asked if I needed to buy it with cash or credit card. Given that I am one of those who get point on credit cards for each dollar spent; I decided to pay with my credit card. The cashier by the laptop section apparently doesn't take credit cards, so I was redirected to another cashier. I was also offered to buy a three year warranty once I was in the line. I didn't take the warranty because that would be about $250.00 more. All this time I was carrying the box of the monitor. When I was up next to the line, I asked the cashier to put each item my reward zones membership.

She first scanned in the PrintServer, and then she scanned in the monitor. To scan the monitor, she "pulled" it towards the scanner. This transaction was completed at 7:49pm as noted in the receipt.

I got home at about 8:10pm…and decided to open the box and install the monitor. I was very anxious see what had cost me so much money. When I opened the box up, to my surprise, I found that the box contained instead of containing the expensive 21.3" flat monitor, it contained a brick taped to a piece of wood. (see picture: http://www.eguate.com/misc/Monitor2.jpg) I was of course shocked and immediately started to panic; thus, I put the item back into the box. I went back to Best Buy as fast as I could and got there at about 8:30 and told the person at the entrance of what had happened. At this point, Best Buy also looked confused. I asked some of Best Buy's employees who were around if this had happened before; some of them confirmed that they had seen it happened before—with VCRs.

For the next 30 minutes or so, Best Buy store manager was eventually deciding what they would do. During this time I was left standing at the entrance with the brick taped to the wood. Best Buy would open the box and eventually took the item out…and then force it back in the box to the point that the box eventually got damaged (see picture: http://www.eguate.com/misc/Monitor1.jpg). There were at least six staff member that were examining the box. Best Buy said that it would go down to the cashier because she was the only person that lifted the box, aside from me. So the worst thing happened at this point—the cashier claimed that the box she had lifted was heavier than that one I had brought back!!! This was such a humiliation. The store accussed me of having replaced the content of the box. Moreover, this was a box that she didn't even lifted and that she only pulled towards herself with ONE HAND to scan. Eventually Best Buy took the cashier's words and then decided that I must have replaced the real monitor with the brick taped to the wood. At the end, Best Buy decided not to take the monitor back.

By this time, I was alaredy stressed for the mal-theratment I was getting. I was being accused of having replaced the content of the box.
Best Buy DOES NOT CARE IF ONE IS A FREQUENT CLIENT. Best Buy for example didn't take into consideration my history as a customer for them. I had bought so many items at this store—each year. I have bought several laptops, even bought a washer and countless electronics and software. I am a software developer—computer hardware and software is something that it is a necessity for me. FURTHERMORE, I spent so much money at Best Buy that I decided it was worth buying membership in their reward zone. But, to Best Buy--all these meant nothing…and they instead went with what the cashier told them—that the box she ‘lifted' was heavier that the one I was returning.

The store manager gave me the number of the corporate office and said to call them the following day (Thursday). That night, I came back home—so humiliated.

The following day I called the corporate office and talked with Leanda, the consumer relation. At least it didn't take her almost an hour, as they did in the store, that Best Buy couldn't take the merchandise back. She told me that it was not their problem and that I had to call Samsung for shipping me a defective item. Keep in mind, I bought the monitor in Best Buy and not from Samsung. Eventually event if Best Buy was the direct sales for Samsung, Best Buy didn't want to do anything to help. So, here I am stuck with a $1,244.86 piece of brick taped to a wood.
So, isn't that sweet? This reminds me of a (much less serious) incident I had with a CD. In short, I bought a CD and when I opened it up it was empty. They took it back..

Last edited:
Well, you could get a lawer and sue the store ppl that made you feel humilated :p , this is bs man, make em take it back! That ladie that said it heavier is bsin you just to save her job, plus how should she know bc she rings up hundreds of people a day! This is total bs, im shure sss can help ya more then i can.

Gnerma said:
No this did not happen to me. It happened to a friend of a friend and this was forwarded to me.
I linked to a website with the guys email address, just don't send him something unless you truly believe you can help him ;)

I've seen this time and time again, usually with high end video cards at Best Buy. Some Scumbag buys a card, takes a rock or a inferior card, then put's it back in the box and uses a inexpensive Shrink wrap machine and returns the card to best buy, who put it back on the shelf and some poor consumer gets shafted.

If I buy an expensive item at Best Buy, I always open it at the security counter where they check your reciepts before I leave the store.

*mouth hanging open* OMG. I have NEVER heard of this sort of thing happening. Im shocked. Holy crap thats even worse than breaking things and returning them. That is borderline stealing depending on who you ask. This is out right WRONG. I REALLY hope he gets something back. *still in shock after seeing the price tag* Well I always heard that before you buy an LCD monitor you have em plug it in so you dont get dead pixels. I will keep in mind about opening other expensive equipment bought from best buy. How does this apply with their online shopping? They sell returned goods as well?

JT

Wow, now thats a funny story. If it happened to me I wouldnt be laughing though, I would be at Best Buy right now throwing a brick through their window. Unbelievable!

Last edited:
yea, i would either be arrested or the person who did it would be :X , i shure hope somting positive comes out of this!

Has he contacted his credit card company? It's possible that they may have heard of other complaints, also sometimes these cards have purchase protection plans. Credit card companies can be influential in the mediation process since Bestbuy would take a big hit to their bottom line if Mastercard or Visa pulled their services.

It's worth a try atleast. Your friend should also contact the B.B.B and see if they have had any previous complaints of this nature. Lastly, I would do my best to start a smear campaign against BestBuy by contacting local media, and he should inform the BestBuy manager that he intends to do so.

He needs to refuse the charge on his credit card and go to court. According to the specs, his monitor should be 11.25 lbs, how much does the brick and board weigh? If more than you have just shot down the statement made by the cashier that the box was heavier before.

Last edited:
*Call the credit card company* ASAP! They will dispute the charges, and not bill him for it. That would be my 2nd step. (first being contacting anyone/everyone at best buy)

One thing I've always thought about, and may/may not work, is to contact your local newspapers/tv stations. One of my local stations have a 'problem solvers' team that will help consumers/viewers with injustice that has been done. I've seen everything from charging a phone bill 4 times in a day, neighborhood trash heaps, to horrible bills from impound lots/tow yards. It's fairly easy to contact them, and will probably get best buy to pay more attention to you, and realize this is not some joke.

If you have to, get a lawyer, but that is a pretty big step, and will cost you a few extra bucks. But if you win, you could probably have best buy pay your lawyer fees and what not for emotional distress. (?) I'd save this till last though, like I said It'll probably be a big hassle and a financial/time risk.

Bios24 said:
*Call the credit card company* ASAP! They will dispute the charges, and not bill him for it. That would be my 2nd step. (first being contacting anyone/everyone at best buy)

One thing I've always thought about, and may/may not work, is to contact your local newspapers/tv stations. One of my local stations have a 'problem solvers' team that will help consumers/viewers with injustice that has been done. I've seen everything from charging a phone bill 4 times in a day, neighborhood trash heaps, to horrible bills from impound lots/tow yards. It's fairly easy to contact them, and will probably get best buy to pay more attention to you, and realize this is not some joke.

If you have to, get a lawyer, but that is a pretty big step, and will cost you a few extra bucks. But if you win, you could probably have best buy pay your lawyer fees and what not for emotional distress. (?) I'd save this till last though, like I said It'll probably be a big hassle and a financial/time risk.

In Addition to Bios's info I suggest:

I would bring the box to the local police station and explain what happened, this is grand theft. There is a VERY GOOD posibility the police can lift a print from the VAST 2" thick scotch tape holding the brick to the wood.

This should be done ASAP, if this person that commited this crime has a record, matching the prints will be easy for prosecution, not to mention helping this person get a refund from Best Buy.

Monitor2.jpg

Silversinksam said:
In Addition to Bios's info I suggest:

I would bring the box to the local police station and explain what happened, this is grand theft. There is a VERY GOOD posibility the police can lift a print from the VAST 2" thick scotch tape holding the brick to the wood.

This should be done ASAP, if this person that commited this crime has a record, matching the prints will be easy for prosecution, not to mention helping this person get a refund from Best Buy.

Wow thats a really good idea, i dont tihnk i would have thought about that one...

and this is worse then theft....not only are you stealing from best buy but your stealing from the poor sap who gets stuck with the peice of wood....and the brick., this kinda thing makes me sick. i cant belive anyone would do somthing like this.. have they no conscience?

Drec said:
Wow thats a really good idea, i dont tihnk i would have thought about that one...

and this is worse then theft....not only are you stealing from best buy but your stealing from the poor sap who gets stuck with the peice of wood....and the brick., this kinda thing makes me sick. i cant belive anyone would do somthing like this.. have they no conscience?

Theres a 99.9% chance of their being prints on the tape, as it's virtually impossible to tape a brick like that with that type of tape with latex gloves on. :-/

packing tape gets stuck to anything really, so rubber gloves wouldnt work. i hope somthing positive comes out of this bc if nothing does then im going to be verry hesitent of buying stuff from there, not like i do bc inet prices are better. :p

if it dosn't work, lemme know(soon as needed please). I am posative I can help.(sorry, must be discussed via pm due to nature)

MLMIB said:
if it dosn't work, lemme know(soon as needed please). I am posative I can help.(sorry, must be discussed via pm due to nature)
MLMIB, shoot the guy an email if you feel you can be of inside assistance.

:eek: There are so many prints on that "LCD" :D by this time...

If that person doesn't have the police record it's worthless. Personally I would check the box contents before leaving the store with such an expensive item.

But that's just me.

Also BB should check their sale records for that LCD (and the returns). I don't think they sold a lot of them anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back