• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

check your shim even on new 9800's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drewthomas14

i just got a 9800pro from circuit city. then i bought a silencer. i lapped the silencer then i went to install it. i took the stock hs off and reveiled my r360 core :clap: . i got a straight edge to see if the core was higher then the shim. it appeared to be higher in some places, so i did a few test fittings with the shim on. first one i put a thin layer of as5. the imprint was there , but a corner was missing. i decided to reset it again with some of the arctic cooling white paste. i put it on pretty thick and still a bit of the corner wasnt making contact.

so i got out my dental floss and popped off the shim. i resat silencer and it was making full contact. just warning you guys that all the shim arent level. i know ppl are saying they all are now. just check them if you get a new one , or are having high temps with an older one.

Back