• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

who here volt mods?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
THANK YOU! :attn:

That's a useful pic. :clap:

I almost had a voltmod horror story while doing my vtt mod a minute ago. I got the wire soldered to the trace no problem. I was about to hot glue the wires down when the other end of the wire attached to the trace pulled the wire off. The wire didn't break at the solder joint though, it broke a piece of the trace off. :eek: There was room to resolder it a little farther over though. So no prob. :D Instead of cutting the trace I ripped a big chunk from it. The connection is definately broken now. ;)

Last edited:
Ok, that vdimm checkpoint isn't working for me. It reads slightly above the vtt. I checked the soldering and the wire is perfectly attached to the correct pin. There is no solder bridging any pins or anything. I soldered the wire to the pin on slot 3. I even tried putting RAM in that slot and 2 sticks in dual channel. Neither worked. I know the wire isn't grounding against the case because I insulated it. Are you sure that pic is correct? Could the vtt and vdimm points be swapped?

Last edited:
ZachM said:
THANK YOU! :attn:

That's a useful pic. :clap:

I almost had a voltmod horror story while doing my vtt mod a minute ago..............................it broke a piece of the trace off. :eek: There was room to resolder it a little farther over though.........................The connection is definately broken now. ;)

:eek: wow your really lucky on that one, that was close, even if you would have killed one of taces i could have walked though a fixer up :thup: .......

and if that isnt it, then use the original Vdimm read point and try this.......

Attachments

• JessFet.jpg
    JessFet.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 223
Yeah, I had already thought about that last idea. With the wire on the back of the mobo, the mod is much cleaner looking. Also, in my case, I'm less likely to snag the wire while changing components. I'll try the other spot on the back after dinner.

Nice paint skills btw. :thup:

ZachM said:
Nice paint skills btw. :thup:

:beer: thanks

also if the VTT read point doesnt work on the back of dimms,(i havent tested any of the read points in the pic that you believe to be wronge, i t proboly is, i havent tested it, i just saw it on another forum,) just contunue to use this one...

Last edited:
Your vdimm measure point worked! :clap: It reads exactly what the mosfet does.

That's the vtt point I soldered to. The one in your old post that is.

Now that my nerves are shot (computer didn't boot first 3 times because I mounted the heatsink wrong), I think I'll take a break. :p Thanks for all the help Jess. :D Now there's a wealth of info for people looking to volt mod their board.

ZachM said:
Now that my nerves are shot (computer didn't boot first 3 times because I mounted the heatsink wrong), I think I'll take a break. :p.

yeah i know how that is, my nerves were so racked after i did mine, and when it try to post it refused, i took 2 cmos clears, the problem was bios was set to 3CAS for my HyperX Pc4000, and i had BH-6 in it.......enought to give me a heart attack, i was like AHHHHHH i killed my board..... :bang head , but think goodness i didnt so all is well....

I'll probably get results at the end of this week or this weekend. I still have a lot of stuff to do to my comp before it is back up and running properly. The times I booted it earlier were just to test for post. My watercooling is still in pieces. I've got the OCZ vdimm booster, and BH-5 so the results should be interesting with the vtt mod.

scooter787b said:
what does the vtt and vref mods do exactly?
well vtt is a "secondary" ram voltage, that is usually set half of vdimm for best OC. some mobo's do this automaticly, but the NF7 (And many other Abit boards dont). as far as i know there is not a Vref mod for the NF7...

Vref is just a reference point for Vtt voltage. I guess vref is measured instead of actual vtt for the auto tracking with vdimm voltage on a un-modded board.

The Vtt is made to be exactly half of vdimm. It has something to do with writing the 1s and 0s to the RAM. If the vtt is too low, either the 1 or 0 will take longer to write. They need to be written at the same speed.

scooter787b said:
woo hoo, got trimmers today, but i think i should wait till i get the new cooling bits first

what new cooling you planning on:)

EDIT:....ohhh, i suppose mosfet sinks?.....i didnt think.....

Don't forget to sink the little vtt chip. As mentioned before it can get mighty warm.

Back