• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

who here volt mods?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
they might work, but they might be to tall as well:(, the problem is trying to clear the Vdimm lever....

BTW do you have thermal apoxy?

you see alot of 486 heatsinks on ebay, thoughs work geart, if you take a hack saw and cut em up, there really low profil.

and if you were to get the sinks yoiu listed above, if they were to tall, you could use wire cutters to trim the top of the fins....

i tried sawing thru a k6 aluminum heatsink, but that would take a long long time of boredom, :-/

and i have no epoxy

you will need some of this to attach the sinks - some how i failed misserably to metion that....... :bang head

and if you have wire cutters, then trimming the top of those heatsinks should be bad,......

er, how does a wire cutter go thru aluminum???

couldnt i just go the cheap tape way? thats already on the sinks?

scooter787b said:

Aluminum is a soft metal, and wire cutters are made of hardened steel. It doesn't take that long to go through aluminum with a hacksaw. Use oil, it makes things easier. Just yesterday I cut up an aluminum heatsink for the mosfets on my mobo. It took a bit of work, but it's all for the good of my computer. ;)

You'll be fine using the thermal tape that comes on those heatsinks. Works well enough.

scooter787b said:

couldnt i just go the cheap tape way? thats already on the sinks?

yes aluminum is very soft, and the top of the VTT mosfet is so small, and lack the needed surface area needed for the tape to hold, that tap just cant hold, i tryed it, and it tryed to fall off:eek:

tape may work w/ the VDimm mosfet but not Vtt:(

EDIT: you must have better thermal tape than me Zach:p

Jess1313 said:
EDIT: you must have better thermal tape than me Zach:p

Nope. I didn't try to mount a sink with thermal tape. I didn't think about there not being enough surface area for the tape. I was just saying that the tape would work fine for transferring the heat. I didn't think about it not sticking.

ZachM said:
Nope. I didn't try to mount a sink with thermal tape. I didn't think about there not being enough surface area for the tape. I was just saying that the tape would work fine for transferring the heat. I didn't think about it not sticking.

lol yeah its just to small :cry: , i wish i would have worked, i tryed many times w/o success, all times both surfaces were cleaned w/ alcohal, and it was good thermal tape too....:(

holy cow, i just looked at the vdimm resistor and dam its small, if one of u could post a pic of the mod u did to it would be great, idk if im a good enuf solder'er to get that small sheesh

Small...heh. That's volt modding for ya. Practice, practice, practice. Find an old modem or something you can practice soldering on. A 60 watt iron is gonna' be way overkill. You can try, but I recommend picking up a 15/20 watt iron. Don't attempt the soldering on your mobo until you have 5-10 sucessful attempts at soldering onto the old piece of hardware. The most important thing is to make sure you have confidence. ;)

scooter787b said:
holy cow, i just looked at the vdimm resistor and dam its small, if one of u could post a pic of the mod u did to it would be great, idk if im a good enuf solder'er to get that small sheesh

yeah sorry i dont have a camara, but as soon as i find a pic, i will post it...

(and yeah, just about all Vmods envolve something that size :bang head )

so the 3.3vdimm mod for the back of the board is out of the question? i still fill nervous soldering to that little resistor on the front

scooter787b said:
so the 3.3vdimm mod for the back of the board is out of the question? i still fill nervous soldering to that little resistor on the front

:confused: , this is the dirtypunk mod, it works great:), i have it right now,(i also have the one on the front w/ the resistor, but if all you want is 3.3vdimm+ just do the 3.3v=vdimm mod:)), just dont do the VDD booster part....

whew thank you, yea wont do that vdd thing, i just dont feel good when i look at that small resistor :p guess i better get to work

scooter787b said:
yea wont do that vdd thing, i just dont feel good when i look at that small resistor

you mean the Vdimm mod that on the front of the board?..or the Vdd(chipset) vmod?

Back