• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

who here volt mods?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i decided revive this old thread, in wonders, how i could determine what is the weak link in my new nf7-s, im not sure if it doesnt like high fsb or high speeds, but high voltage is ok, but its always crapping out on me, how can i tell if its the mobo, cpu, or ram???

as almost max i can do with this board is 170x12.5, i doubt i hurt the ram from the previous vmod

edit: also could i rma it for it non going as fast as i wawnt it to? :p

Have you tried a very low CPU multi (ex. 8) to try to make it to 200 FSB? It should do 200 easy considering you have rated PC3200 RAM. Have you swapped your bios yet? Most of the stock ones suck. Your board should be happy at 200 FSB. I don't see why it isn't. Hmm.

You could RMA if you made sure it is your mobo not letting you get to 200 FSB. The NF7 is rated to go to 200 FSB, so not doing it means it's defective.

Doing a PSU sense wire mod, and am semi-experienced in electronics, but have hit a brick wall modding the 12V line on my antec trueblue 480.

40ohm resistor, two 5K VR in series to make 10K total, and it refuses to budge the 12V.

the only thing that i have done different, is my VR is soldered on the ATX plug end of things, and not the PSU side of the fixed resitor. could this have any effect?

yes the VR's work, yes its connected to earth properly, and yes im stumped on this one.

anyone got any advice?

ok well with my board,
i ran memtest memory is good till about 210 at 2-2-2-11 w/ 2.91vdimm
cpu is same from last board that did 225x11
psu rails are good, 3.34v,5.10,12.10

but sometimes i can run 11x200 fine, like last night, but i turn on pc when i get back from school and it freezes as soon as desktop appears :(

bad board??

scooter: i can help you with that one, some of your mosfets or your PLL chip might be cooking, i'll show you which ones next time i see you in MSN.

(same happened to me, only worked at night, instant freeze of a day.... my PLL chip would be burning hot at 2.5GHz, but cold at 2490Mhz :eh?:

just didnt like that teeny few more MHz for some reason.

right next to the ATX connector on the mobo is a chip with "alaitec" written on it, on my board it never heated up until 2.5GHz when it got burning hot (about 80C or so), sinking it got me 50MHz more. a fan over it and a sink would work wonders.

Yeah, it's the fsb frequency pll chip correct? I read somewhere that it will start heating up once you pass 200 fsb or so as well. Maybe there are two of them though. I sinked both just for the heck of it.

thats the one. mine never heated up til 2.5GHz, cooling got me 2.55GHz... rest of the system can do 2.7+ :( so its new mobo time for me, i'll try a new one i have here, and keep the better

New one? what motherboard do you have right now? I'm guessing that you have a NF7-S rev.2 but that's just a huge guess. What's your max fsb that you can hit right now? That's what I'm stuck at with my system, I can't pass 2.6 Ghz without some extreme voltage. For some reason my system is destined to hit 2.55.

enduro: yes its an NF7-S 2.0

FSB i dont know, just modded a ****load of things and havent tried. 217 works fine, 250+ on a CPC off bios.

im trying with a new NF7-S 2.0, as this one i have is one of the early early early batches, and it seems to have a weak PLL chip.... on a newer board, i should get higher. if i dont, i stay with the old board.

edit: my system is pretty much the same as yours, except its 2X512 ram, an X800PRO at beyond XTPE, and an AQYFA CPU i think (mobile 2600+)

that CPU stepping maybe wrong, i read it via an old program i had.... i'll check the code when i switch mobos.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that you have to physically look at the cpu to check. Your overclock is nice though, most people can't reach 240 fsb with 2*512. What mods have you done to your board?

no mods apart from heatisnking just about everything, and sticking a zalman passive onto the NB.

i know its the PLL chip with "alaitec" on it, near teh ATX plug, because the more i cool it, the faster i can boot at.... its just unstable in 3D at anything above 2.55, even with it sinked.

Try upping your AGP voltage to 1.6V and set your agp freq to 71 Mhz. That will help 3D stability. Also, what is your chipset voltage at right now? Try different variations of it. Some respond well to 1.4V while others need 1.6-.7 to reach 250 Mhz. I needed a volt mod and 1.9 to reach 255 on my board but Sentential only need 1.7V to reach 263.

well im using multi for OC, rather than FSB, but i do know all the FSB tricks... i got 470DDR out of 2X512 once, but im working on CPU power with my new mobile.

i'll try raising AGP voltage / the AGP slot MHz.... i never bothered, figured this X800 could take care of itself :p

Back