• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm Stucked at 728 Mhz!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pedro

Registered
Hello !

I've been reading post's here and i must say it helps a lot.
I've started overclocking a few days ago...eheh!
I have a problem... My Mobo is an Acorp BX 6 VIA 83 - CPU PIII 650 - RAM 128 100Mhz.
And i can't do more than 728 Mhz.
I have tried several soft. to measure temp but nothing has funtion correctly.
What should i do next?:confused:

Oi Pedro, bem vindo ao Forum!:D

Well, i do know that board at all... so please tell me how you overclocked your CPU- FSB speed, CPU voltage, etc.
Anyway you should buy or change that ram. 100 Mhz generic ram is not a good sollution for overcloking!
Speaking of ram theres a store that sells very good ram.
Its Tonicom PC166Mhz CAS2 (Im tinking of going there to buy some) and the Store is in Restauradores (next to Elevador da Gloria) its called UNREAL informatica (no CC. Palladium). Maybe youve heared about it!!!

Still send me those Specs - maybe i could give a hand!

Once again: Wellcome to OC Forum:)

Last edited:
there are a few things to do, cool the north brige better, get a blue orb or put a 486fan on the original heatsink, try and put a heatsink on the clock multipler, take out all the unessary pci cards, get better ram, if your hard disk is old see if it is the hard disk stopping the ovrclock, dissconnect everything, all you need to boot is the graphics card and the mobo with the ram and cpu

Couple of things. First, the post above may be right... generic pc100 might not make it. Second, at that speed, your FSB is 112 and PCI is 37+. Your pci cards could be stressing out at the next speed your board has... BTW, what is the next speed you are trying?

good luck

Working on it !

You guys are great...

I was thinking..." well... who cares ? "

Tanks again...

Well first my specs:Mobo Acorp BX6 VIA83 (System Model VT82C692BX) FSB 112 - Award Modular Bios v4.51PG - CPU PIII 650@728 - RAM 128 PC100 CAS 2 - VideoCard Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 (I know it's old) - Creative SB PCI 128 - 10G Generik IDE Disk - CD-ROM Samsung CD-R/RW SW 212B - CD-Rom Philips PCCD048 - OS Win Me.
Is there anything missing?

I know now that my mobo don't have a temp sensor.
My next step is boot with no PCI Sound Blaster (OK! - the overclocker) and try FSB 124.

I've tried o/c my video card with powerstrip and it worked... for a few moments...now i have problems, no games running.
It's again on default but still the same VMM(01)+0000DC99 error...
Argh!

Working on it !

You guys are great...

I was thinking..." well... who cares ? "

Tanks again...

Well first my specs:Mobo Acorp BX6 VIA83 (System Model VT82C692BX) FSB 112 - Award Modular Bios v4.51PG - CPU PIII 650@728 - RAM 128 PC100 CAS 2 - VideoCard Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 (I know it's old) - Creative SB PCI 128 - 10G Generik IDE Disk - CD-ROM Samsung CD-R/RW SW 212B - CD-Rom Philips PCCD048 - OS Win Me.
Is there anything missing?

I know now that my mobo don't have a temp sensor.
My next step is boot with no PCI Sound Blaster (OK! - the overclocker) and try FSB 124.

I've tried o/c my video card with powerstrip and it worked... for a few moments...now i have problems, no games running.
It's again on default but still the same VMM(01)+0000DC99 error...
Argh!

OK. You may need to adjust your PCI divider to /4 at 124fsb because the PCI cards most likely will have problems at 41MHz.

Also, your RAM is most likely stressing out at this speed. Try a CL3 setting if you have it in the bios (I couldn't find your exact board on the Acorp site, so I'm not sure). If the CL3 setting doesn't help, your pc100 may not make 124. :(

Good luck on the video card. I have no experience with that card.

Still @728

e laursen said:
OK. You may need to adjust your PCI divider to /4 at 124fsb because the PCI cards most likely will have problems at 41MHz.

Also, your RAM is most likely stressing out at this speed. Try a CL3 setting if you have it in the bios (I couldn't find your exact board on the Acorp site, so I'm not sure). If the CL3 setting doesn't help, your pc100 may not make 124. :(

Good luck on the video card. I have no experience with that card.

Hi Laursen,

I've tried... nothing to report but a black screen...
Yes defenitly my PC100 is stressing the hole process.
Anyway i've a doubt...If my Mobo bus is max 133 could i try RAM 128 PC 166?

yup...youll just be underclocking the ram.....itll be better actually because that will probly eliminate the ram as a problem...

Umm I think this could be very simple Sounds like one of a few things.

1) Your Video card is crapping out at that level of FSB
2)You need a better heatsink what are you useing to cool it off?
3)Also your Southbridge could be to warm. Try aslo cooling the south bridge if its warm to the touch.
4) Dealing with the noth bridge: You need to take off the greenie off the nothbridge and then put down some thermal paste and a drop of super glue on each of the corners of the northbridge. It will help hold on the heatsink. Plus you will need to put a fan on that heatsink. I say a good 40mm fan off a crap heatcink would work great.

Good look on that Overclock

I'd say strip her down to the only bare nescceries such as cpu, ram, hard drive, floppy, and video card.. then if she clocks higher you'll know it was one of the other components.. if not then I'd try swaping a few peices if you can.

For exampel swap out your video card with another, borrow/get some better ram and try that instead of your current ram..

However if all is good, then slowly start adding your componets back into your system till you find the one that keeps you from overclocking..

I've done this on a few computers and its about the quick and painless way I know of finding the 'clock-stopper' :)

Good luck and keep us posted,

-Trek

Re: Re: I'm Stucked at 728 Mhz!!

TheCrow said:
Speaking of ram theres a store that sells very good ram.
Its Tonicom PC166Mhz CAS2 (Im tinking of going there to buy some) and the Store is in Restauradores (next to Elevador da Gloria) its called UNREAL informatica (no CC. Palladium). Maybe youve heared about it!!!
Hey, if you ever do go, be sure to get me a stick :D

Just checking to see if you made any progress on this, keep us updated :)

I'm still interesting to know the meaning behind that cryptic error!

-Trek

Re: Re: Re: I'm Stucked at 728 Mhz!!

It_The_Cow said:
Hey, if you ever do go, be sure to get me a stick :D

Allready gone there and bought a 128Mb stick, and it worked perfectly.
I had my baby OCed at 910 with my generic pc133 ram in cas3, but with tonicon, i was able to OC my Pc to 933 Mhz at cas2 stable rock.:)
The problem is that its only 128Mb, so i had to add 128Mb pc133 generic, windows virtual mem was being used a lot. So i had to reduce speed again:( .
I´ll have to buy another 128Mb stick if i want go with this speed.
I live in Portugal, maybe thats why i can get that ram without running out! (allthought i only know this place to buy Tonicon)
OC community isnt very big here, i think.

The Error was cause by me!

Treker said:

-Trek

Sorry about the error...

I've moved some files from a place to another and the system went crazy. For several times i've tried to play some games but the response was that "evil" error!
:eek:

Is it Tonicom so well ranked in the market?
Lacking some time to read about it.

Crow - thanks I already have the up-to-date price list from Unreal Store. They have fine prices for Mobo's but still i've found several stores with some pretty low prices on RAM and Video boards.

Yes Pedro, i know that they have high prices on some hardware!
But its the only place i know that has Tonicom memory sticks (they are expensive too).
And yes Tonicom SDram is very well rated!!! If you have time go to Memory on the Forum. You will find information on the Thread "Fast, reliable SDRAM??" made by shtweazel!!! I Bumped it so you can see it!

Experiments!

Treker said:

-Trek

Well Treker i'm sad to report that i've done no progress.
1- I repeat all the procederes to increase FSB with the actual RAM. The same 728Mhz.
2- As i was told it could be the pc100 stick...Is not so (at least in this Mobo) 'cause i've tested with Tonicom 166 and the again FSB 124 resulted in nothing less than a black screen.
3- The last test was with both sticks PC100 and PC166 but, as i expected no response...
Anyway i have this strange sention that something is missing could be from the power ? i've a 230 W power supply.

ah ! my PCI SB and USB modem was unpluged all the time from the mobo.

Conclusion my mobo its crap or even worst.

Is Asus CUCSL2 C a good choice for this CPU? Or Asus TUSL2?

Keeping on!

Treker said:

-Trek

This is rolling...
Remember that guy stucked @728 ?

I've made it i've reached 780 and still pushing a few notches step by step.

First my RAM was PC100 and was stressing up the whole machine. Remedy a 128@166 from Tonicom rested the case.

Second my old mobo was pretty much solid but lacking of FSB defenitions. Remedy i bought the Asus CUSCL-2!
And last (but not the least) i apllied a fan Cooler Master DP5-6H51 (???) well i think it's doing the job...

With all this temp is getting to 31/33 C in win me; and 40/45 C running burn-in sisoftsandra.
My next step is to upgrade my graphic card.

I also want to say that i'm very sad for that monstrous attack on NY.
I hope that the responsables should be punished with justice not vengeance.

Back