• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random restarts and NTFS.sys now missing?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twist

Hey,
For a while now my PC has been restarting at random times, and upon startup again it would sometimes freeze. Last night, I left my computer to update to SP2 final (I had RC2 installed) via windows update, and when I woke up this morn. my computer had restarted and on the screen it had a message like:
"Missing or corrupt NTFS.sys..."

I've run HDD diagnostics for both my drives (Seagate and WD, 7200rpm, 80gb each) and no problems. I also ran a memory test and no problems were found (I did one pass on each "test").

Is this a PSU problem or a heat problem? Or could it be Windows? I get the feeling my PSU is dying, but I'm really not sure. My temps are around what they should be, maybe a little warm, but nothing (I thought) to worry about.

My specs:
-----------
Intel 845GBV mobo
Intel P4 2.4ghz
WD 7200rpm 80gb HDD
Seagate 7200rpm 80gb HDD
Sony 4x DVD (DRU-510A)
TDK 48x CD-RW

Likely a PSU problem... When a user doesn't include his PSU in his specs, that is always the first indication of the PSU being at fault. ;)

Nice to see that you already ran diagnostics on both the HDD and memory, that would have been my first advice.

Are you stock or OC'ed?

i think its a windows problem. sometimes it does that and corrupts system files. what you should try first before getting a new hardware is to copy ntfs.sys from another computer and copy it to the computer with the problem. if this doesn't help, do a recovery(or windows reinstall). That should fix it. if it doesn't then go with IMOG.

When a user doesn't include his PSU in his specs, that is always the first indication of the PSU being at fault.
Haha. I'm just not at my PC right now so I don't have the PSU specs. Thr CPU is stock.

I'm going to try replacing NTFS.sys, but I'm still skeptical about it being a windows-only problem.

Windows usually doesn't kill ntfs.sys on its own though... Its usually the result of something else putting it under attack.

Copying the file over or doing a recovery is definetly a good idea, but if he is getting random restarts I would suspect a hardware problem... Which will lead to this becoming a recurring problem. ;) If you can swap out the PSU, you might want to give that a shot and observe results.

Any other options? I don't have an extra PSU handy, so I guess I might as well go buy one...

Hmmmm...man I hope I won't need to reformat...

A new PSU won't fix the problem you have now. That problem needs to be fixed, then a new PSU might help keep it from recurring again.

Get a Good big name PSU.

I think your memory is fine as bad ram usually fails diagnostics, but its also still a possibility that your HDD is a problem. I have had a lot of drives pass IBM drive fitness tests when they are clicking and having other obvious HDD failures.

Yeah, I don't hear/see any obvious problems with my drives. The WD HDD is brand new, and the Seagate one I've had for ~3 years with no problems. I've run their respective tests (one from WD, one from Seagate) and neither picked up any problems.

Well, I tried replacing NTFS.sys, but I still get the "NTFS.sys missing or corrupt" error! I get the feeling it could be my RAM, but the test I'm running doesn't seem to show it. Maybe its a PSU + RAM problem?

Either way this is driving me insane and any help would be great right now!

my friends new NF7-S 2.0 was having the same problem...with blue screens and it said that file was at fault....then, i took one of his memory sticks out and now it seems to be working fine....

Only one stick, but its not a blue screen. Its black & white.

Also, this is probably important, but I forgot to mention that I had left SP2 RTM to install before the crash.

Back