• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 computers and 1 PSU??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zerileous

RetroUO and I have been looking at putting a mini-ITX secondary system into the upper regions of his massive antec server case. He will be getting a new 530watt fortron and would like to power a P4 3.0c, 2 hdds, 3 opticals, a vid or two, and case fans, along with the secondary via setup, from this single PSU. I am about 90% sure that the PSU has enough power. My first question is whether i am correct in this assumtion

My second question is how would we go about setting up two computers to operate from a single PSU. Would this be possible? How could it be done?

Thanks,
Z.

Well I wouldn't try it unless that Fortron could put out at least 40 amps on each of the +3.3, +5, and +12 rails. If it could, then I guess you'd have to split the motherboard leads into two splits. The easiest way to do it would be to hack up another psu to get the plugs and then splice it into the rail. Of course if you had another psu, I'd be easier to just install the 2nd psu.

I have no idea about power consuption problems. I do know that it is fairly easy. using 2x20 pin ATX power extension cables, to mod a 'y' adaptor cable to power 2 PSU's off of the same power supply. I haven't seen one retail but they might sell them. Let me stress again that I have no idea if it's possible to actually power the motherboards. I was just answering the second question.

EDIT: I don't recomend hacking up you PSU. Just mod the extension cables to plug into your PSU and then out to both motherboards.

How would turning on each computer work? any idea? Would turning on one turn on both, or could you still turn them on and off seperately?

Lejend, i dont think the requirements are going to be that hefty. On mini-ITX.com they use small powersupplies that only supply about 40 watts to power one disk drive, one optical drive, and the board. Why would the massive power of a 530w fortron not be able to handle that much of an extra load?

Thanks,
Z.

Last edited:
This sort of thing has been done quite successfully over in the Folding Forums. Look for threads over there on Folding Farms. In a nutshell, you buy two ATX extenders and build a 'Y' connector out of them. But there are more details ... some wires get connected ... others don't - better you should go read the posts by people who have actually done it. :D

Back