• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need adivce on dvd burner

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squeekyMop

what would be a good dvd burner with dual layer burning option for under 100 bucks right now and also capable of 1:1 burning abilities

plextor px-712a is a single layer dvd burner that is well worth the price 130ish not dual layer but I know the guy who wrote dvddecrypter and this is the drive that he advised me to use. whe dual layer discs aren't 15bucks then buy a dual layer burner.

LiteOn 812S@832S would be the drive of choice. It has a few utilities floating on the web to take care of certain issues & making it work faster/consistent speed.

A 2 step firmware upgrade, simple explanation & I cant go further than that until I get the go ahead from a mod, to change a 812S into a 832S. With a price of $68.00USD at NewEgg it looks to be the best option.

EDITED TO CONFORM WITH FORUM GUIDELINES

Last edited:
The DVD burner in my Signature is the best deal money can buy right now, The lite on is great burns 8x dvds in 6-8 minutes very fast and has dual layer support

The Liteon SOHW-832S

Sonny said:
LiteOn 812S@832S would be the drive of choice. It has a few utilities floating on the web to take care of certain issues & making it work faster/consistent speed.

A 2 step firmware upgrade, simple explanation & I cant go further than that until I get the go ahead from a mod, to change a 812S into a 832S. With a price of $68.00USD at NewEgg it looks to be the best option.

EDITED TO CONFORM WITH FORUM GUIDELINES

This might be true but I am still faster 11x read! OMG

i would have to agree that any dual layer support right now isnt worth it. if you read the front page article for the 16th, ED said we would be lucky to see DL disc prices down to $1-2 by the end of 2005. right now they are $15 or so per disc and they are unreliable. just go for single layer now, buy the time DL discs become affordable, there will be newer better burners for the same price you will pay for a single layer burning drive now. i suggest the NEC 2500. its cheap and it works great. most of the other manufacturers use NEC chipsets in their drive and fill in with their own choice of other components, so you cant go wrong with NEC, plus they're cheaper than the others ;)

the NEC 2500 is only $59.99 at newegg and if you absolutely need DL support, the 2510 is only $10 more.

LiteOn SOHW-812S - can be flashed to 832S to burn dual layer
or
NEC 2500 - can be flashed to 2510 to burn dual layer

These 2 are the best for the money. Unless you wanted to wait a little longer for a 16x +/-R, 4x DL drive.

el said:
This might be true but I am still faster 11x read! OMG

I also have an 812@832. It reads DVD5 at 12x and dvd+-r and dvd9 at 8x, but my LiteOn 166S reads DVD5, R, RW at 16x and DVD9 at 10x! OMG. And the two drives combined cost me less than $110 from newegg.

Back