• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case fan questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mikes95XLT

I am looking to buy some new fans for my case (Chieftec Dragon) and would like to get something that moves more air than the stock fans that came with the case.

1) How much air does a stock fan that came with my case move in terms of CFM? Because I would like to compare the stock ones vs. the ones I want to buy.

2) Can you make any good recommendations? I want to buy the SmartFan2... any good?

3) I also want to buy some filters for the front of my fans so I can reduce the dust inside my case. Jab-Tech has some cool UV reactive ones, but I don't know which screws to buy to screw the filter to the fan... what screws do I need to do this??

Thanks for the help guys.

Scotch said:
Smartfan 2 is very loud but move a **** load of air, I personnaly recommend Panaflo. They are the Best IMO
Smartfans are not as loud as tornados on full power the tornados sound like vacuum cleaners ;)

From the pic at Jab-tech the filter is held on with some phillips screws..Standard fan screws will work too, as well as plastic rivets..:)

Panaflo fans are known for large amounts of CFM with little noise, this 80mm fan is the high speed model and pushes an impressive 39.6CFM at only 32dBA.

80mm Panaflo fan H1B
DIMENSION: 80 x 80 x 25mm
VOLTAGE: 12VDC
CURRENT: 0.17A
SPEED: 2950 RPM
AIR FLOW: 39.6 CFM
NOISE: 32.0 dBA

http://www.jab-tech.com/customer/product.php?productid=2004&cat=79&page=1

Thanks for the replies guys!

So 39 is a good airflow number eh? Cause some fans I see move like 65 CFM and the like... is that like a huge number? I wouldn't mind moving a lot of air through my case...

Where do I get the standard case fan screws at? Are these them?

Thanks for the info guys. :cool:

Yeah, those look like the right screws to me. Your basic self tapping fan case screw.

Listen,
I use the smart case fan II for my cpu.. It will move up to 75.5cfm, and comes wiht a controller so if you need to you can turn it down.. At about 3000 rpm's, it is still moving a boatload of air(my guess is around 35-40cfm) and is as quiet as other fans at this speed... the majority of the noise it makes is air flow noise, not the fan noise itself...unless turned waay up..
I keep my oc'd 2400 @ 2.41 Ghz and 46C stable under prime load with this thing, and i only have 2 cheap a$$ 80mm case fans with max 20cfm in my case..good fan for 9.95 at newegg....

For a case fan it's about circulating air, so you don't need a drastically high amount.

I would reccomend ~35cmfs.

To compensate for noise, check and see if you can use 120mm or 92mm. In some instances you can use 1 120mm fan where you would have used 2 80mm fans.

I know a few people here truely favor the 120mm Sanyo Denki fan.

I would use a 120 if I could, but my case (Chieftec Dragon) has those holders that fit up to 80 only. The other thing I want to figure out is how to mount the fan filters I just bought against the holders on the Chieftec case. When I take off those holders, there are no screw holes for the fans to mount to the case.

Mikes95XLT said:
I would use a 120 if I could, but my case (Chieftec Dragon) has those holders that fit up to 80 only. The other thing I want to figure out is how to mount the fan filters I just bought against the holders on the Chieftec case. When I take off those holders, there are no screw holes for the fans to mount to the case.

I've never seen this case, but I'm guessing you are taking of the holders so you can put the filters on? If that's right, I'd say keep the holders in place, put the fan on, then the filter on the other side of the fan. Your fan might get dusty, but the filter can still do its job for the rest of your computer.

It's this case. If you look closely at the purple holders for the fans, you can see at the top and bottom there are clips that hold the fan in place. Here is a better picture of what I'm talking about. You can see that there are two clips holding at the top and bottom, and the filters I bought, look like they will conflict with the holders.

Now, if I remove the holders, there are no holes to screw a fan to the case. So that's what I was confused on.

What I'm seeing is that the big purple piece on the left is sandwitching the fan inbetween that and the metal on the right, and the clips on the top and bottom hold the fan down.

What I would do, is remove the holders, cut out the mesh, and then drill my own fan holes... but that's just me.

Next instinct is to cut the fan holder/filter. So that would mean the big part on the left of the holder gets trimmed down, and the filter would get trimmed so that it can fit between the two smaller clips.

Another option: cut the grill part of the case out. Then mount the filter diagonally to the fan, at a 45 degree angle on the outside of the case. Get my drift? Only problem is that it is outside, and its uv reactive...

OR, if you get really creative, you could make a spacer, so that the filter will be over the holder... longer screws and lots of washers are in order.... Plus you will have this big gap...

Mr.über said:
Smartfans are not as loud as tornados on full power the tornados sound like vacuum cleaners ;)

I may have both of you beat, maybe, try using a Delta 92mm. Awesome fan but if I had more than one my case would start to hover :)

Back