• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BFG 6800GT biod mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
bobmanfoo said:
the stock BFG bioses from mvktech does not work with NVflash, i tried on my card and it did the same thing, blank screen, your card was/is not dead so get it back if you can. it just has no bios on it, when you went to flash with nvflash, it erases the current bios, then it tries to writes, but it can't write something it can't read. as i told you before i had the EXACT same problem till i got a bios that was backd up with NVflash. i posted my original bios, why didn't you use that one? i can confirm that it works with nvflash, you will now need to flash blind or with a pci card

on a different note: my OC is now up from 425 to 450 stable! the wonders of good cooling ;) i tried with 1.5V and its a no go, locks up and very unstable

Well I can't get the card back. But once I get it back, I can try a few things again this time with a backup. How do you restore the bios if it won't let you boot the machine? lol

Here take this back, I did something I know nothing about because I read it on the internet that it would be cool... jeesh

Bobmanfoo, good deal I have been playing D3 all day with no issues. It never ceases to amaze me how people are in a hurry to try something with little or no research and then book down and return it with the same little or no research on how to fix it.

I agree Nandro....obviously he didn't put much thought into what he was going to do before he did it. He was ranting on at the 3DGuru forums as well how some guy told him how to do a mod and now his card is screwed.... a little knowledge can be dangerous!!

Nandro said:
Things like that make manufacturers try to make it harder to mod hardware. If I returned every piece I broke doing a mod, thats just not right.

Next time anyone does something like this, put up in there information BACK UP YOUR OLD BIOS. I did it exactly the way he said to do it. It worked, but my card became unstable. 3dmark would cause it to reboot, etc. I saw no performance increase either.

g35_tx said:
Next time anyone does something like this, put up in there information BACK UP YOUR OLD BIOS. I did it exactly the way he said to do it. It worked, but my card became unstable. 3dmark would cause it to reboot, etc. I saw no performance increase either.

Dude thats why you gotta do reserch before you dive headfirst into things. Returning an already rare vcard after *you* **** it up is just plain wrong. Especially since it could have been troubleshooted.

Also everyone knows that you should back-up your origional BIOS, for that very reason. Life is imperfect, hope for the best but prepare for the worst. Did you not think for even a second what you would do if it didnt work? I for one always expect the worst so that I dont give my hopes up

Everyone here has a wall of shame, it comes with the territory. OCing isnt free, we always pay the price eventually.

As for me, ill flash my BIOS when this becomes mainstream. Im not gonna put a $400 card on the line for that last 10% it just dosnt make sense at this point. Other than benching I have no need for the power.

My 2 cents

Last edited:
Nandro said:
Bobmanfoo, good deal I have been playing D3 all day with no issues...
good that it worked out pretty well for ya :p did you install the waterblock before or after the bios mod? i was just wondering how much better cooling/lower temps helps OCing on a stock GT. kinda sucks when you buy highend hardware and they were treated with the 'thats good enough' when designing and producing, :bang head POS stock fan. at least its off :)
stock: 415/1.15
bios mod, 85C load: 425/1.18
bios mod, 62C load: 450/1.18

g35_tx said:
i feel bad for what happened to such a nice card, i never meant for this thread to be a manual or guide of any sort, fafnir and mcdongle have threads, i was just sharing my results, Nandro asked for the files so i posted them, he asked for help i tried to help. g35_tx, you asked for the stock bios, i posted it but you decided to DL one from mvktech, then you returned it before asking questions or help from someone who is familiar with or has done this mod. i had to mess around with my card for 3 full days before i got everything perfect, from a bad flash, which took 2days to fix, to adjusting every thing to my liking.

Last edited:
I put the WB on before I did it, knowing that the mod would up the temp. With the WB, it never goes above 48C and thats running cpu and gpu intensive stuff over a long period.

As for the following to the letter of the bios mod THERE IS A STICKY AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE.

bobmanfoo said:
i feel bad for what happened to such a nice card, i never meant for this thread to be a manual or guide of any sort, fafnir and mcdongle have threads, i was just sharing my results, Nandro asked for the files so i posted them, he asked for help i tried to help. g35_tx, you asked for the stock bios, i posted it but you decided to DL one from mvktech, then you returned it before asking questions or help from someone who is familiar with or has done this mod. i had to mess around with my card for 3 full days before i got everything perfect, from a bad flash, which took 2days to fix, to adjusting every thing to my liking.

and as a general rule, if you post and ask someone to help you fix it, it's best to wait more than an hour or two for some help before you return it.

g35_tx said:
Where did you get experttool to keep the fans running 100%? I can't find that anywhere to get.

I think Experttool is Gainwards tweaking tool that they include with their cards..

Im gona try this flashing thing also.. Ive noticed I get lockups when at 410\1100 but not at 400\1100... no artifacts at all but just lockups.. hope some more vgpu is the key..

THunDA said:
I think Experttool is Gainwards tweaking tool that they include with their cards..

Im gona try this flashing thing also.. Ive noticed I get lockups when at 410\1100 but not at 400\1100... no artifacts at all but just lockups.. hope some more vgpu is the key..

lower temp's=less lockup's
more voltage=higher temp's

i wouldn't recommend doing this if your card run's hot, say 60+ or so.
if you do, don't go above 1.4v unless you got decent temp's.

you've read the entire thread i hope :)

yes, expertool is from gainward, but works with all brands, you can dl it off their site, also if you read my previous post you will see that cooling helps the OC alot, i only gained 10mhz on the core when upping from 1.3v to 1.4v, but after i chunked the factory cooling and went my own route i gained an addition 25mhz. you will not reap the FULL benefits of the mod until you lower temps

Flashing the bios, with other people's and my own moddied, allow me to o/c the card to 451/1.21, but the card was unstable even at previously safe 427/1.19. Doom3 ran w/o a hitch at the higher speeds, but no go with 3Dmark03 and Farcry. Flash back to original bios and everything is back to normal. It seems to work for some, but it did nothing for me, made it worse.

I wouldnt mind going from 1.3v to 1.4v to get that little extra stability but anything over a 400Mhz core clock with stock cooling is taking to much risk with a 400+ dollar card for my taste....

Back