• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

trying to find the best 939 mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Falseprophet

I am doing research to upgrade my current computer. I have waited the 64 boom long enough. I am just having trouble deciding, or even finding a good selection of 939 boards to chose from. I like the idea of gigabyte's nforce 3 250gb chipset. but I dont see a board in 939 that offers it. hase it been released yet? I just need advice on a 939 board. shold I buy now or later? p.s. I plan on having a minimum of 1gb ram maby 2GB. I have read about problems with 1 or 2 sided dimms. any advice here would help.

The simple fact that there aren't a lot of choices says that maybe its still a little early to jump on the 939s (IMHO) I'd wait just a bit longer until they're more choices, more personal feedback\support & a bit lower prices to make your decision easy, thats what I plan to do.

Just my $0.02

Regards, Balrog

From what I understand, if you are willing to wait a little bit longer, you will be able to get the nforce4 chipset with dual pci-e.

Awsome. I was not aware of any nforce 4??? I have heard of PCI Express as an Intel Item that is possible going to be released very soon. I was hoping that I could get my new MOBO with PCI Express. If there is any chance that I can get Nforce 4 & Pci Express in my new board, then I will definetly wait a bit longer and see what comes out... Besides, it will allow for the much needed time to get more feed back on the new tech. you can never be too sure with AMD right now. they have used socket 462 ever since like the 500 - 600 MHZ Cpu days. And now all of the sudden they just released 3 new sockets. I will wait a while longer. thank you everyone and I will research the Nforce 4... any links to info on the nforce 4 would be appreciated also... If allowed by the forum rules...

I have found some disturbing info. There seems to be some discussion about SoundStorm 2 being a fact or rumor... here is what I have found. http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47085 and this. http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=29&threadid=1365071&enterthread=y this is the quote that I am making reference to ...:

--"Concillian"--
"""The SoundStorm2 rumor has been debunked. It is, and will remain, a RUMOR and not a reality.

This according to the people at nforcershq.com in this thread:
http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47085

They are still lobbying nVidia to bring back the APU.

Here is text I wrote summarizing in another thread:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Basically the gist is that
1) The Inquirer article is the only source that ever said nForce4 would include SoundStorm, and that part of the article is not true.
2) Motherboard manufacturers do not ask nVidia for it, so nVidia dropped it. The reason manufacturers do not ask for it? They don't get scored down at review sites like AT and other for not having only AC97 sound. They see no benefit to SoundStorm and added cost, so it won't be making an appearance anytime soon... at least until review sites start demanding better onboard audio options and scoring down for normal 5.1.

A sad state of affairs, but true."""
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope that SoundStorm 2 turns out to be a real feature of the NForce 4 I would very much like to have the feature integrated into my new system...

Well if they don't bring it back, it'll be one more reason to look more closely at the VIA based boards. I have a cheapie Chaintech AV-710 soundcard using one of the audio chips, HT-S, that they use on some of the MoBos & its amazing. Excellent audio for music & DVDs, it just needs some tweaking for gaming. This is budget version, the more advanced chips they use for the MoBos are even better.

Regards, Balrog

I have the Asus A8V and it is serial number 46MGXXXXXXX so it should have the working PCI/AGP locks but it doesn't!!! I am going to buy an Nforce 3 board nest. I don't think I can wait for the Nforce 4. Gigabyte and MSI both have Nforce 3 boards out now.

I have the Asus A8V and it is serial number 46MGXXXXXXX so it should have the working PCI/AGP locks but it doesn't!!! I am going to buy an Nforce 3 board nest. I don't think I can wait for the Nforce 4. Gigabyte and MSI both have Nforce 3 boards out now.

If you wait for Nforce 4 then you will probably be waiting until christmas time. So if you can't wait then I would suggest that you take a look at the MSI board since it got an excellent review at Anandtech.com It is probably the best thing out right now for 939. If you wait for the Nforce 4 then I think the DFI Lanparty board will be the one to get.

Back