• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ntfs performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Como

just wondering...why is it that writing to an ntfs hard drive uses so much processor usage? i'm copying files off a cd with my cpu at 223X10 and its constantly at 90% or higher usage...

i used to run it at stock with the same hard drives on fat32 and got much better performance...faster writes andwhatnot. i curse the day i "upgraded" and lost the ability to image a cd in under 5 mins.

Why does it use so much power?

I dont know what else could have caused it, but now it takes over 6 mins to image/burn a cd...whereas it was well under 5 mins for a copy before.

Only difference was ntfs, and i even reinstalled my os since then.

now i got a faster model of the same cd drive, and it takes the same amount of time. Only thing i can think of is slower driver performance.

I'll have to wipe my spare drive and do some testing...

If you are having cpu usage problems it sounds like a controller issue..

You shouldnt be more than 10 or 20 % usage at most I am thinking.

Typically this system runs under 5 %....

could be. my secondary drive on the primary ise has been giving me some issues lately...
what would i do if my controllers shot?

whats the best way to find out?

copying from a virtual cdrom (a120) to my hard drive (installing a game from the image,both on same hard drive) causes processor usage less than 10%. i assume that means its not the controller....and its still rather slow....but not much slower than an install from a cdrom is. Not that i can expect much from the drive doing the work of two :p

Back