• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Official How does CS:Source run on your ________ video card Thread.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrazyOleg

Registered
Since the CS: Source beta has offically started preloading, we are just days away from finding out how the next generation of video cards can run the source engine. So if anyone has an ATI HL2 voucher or owns a copy of CS:CZ you should be able to log onto steam and preload the beta. Anyone with a 6800 series nvidia card or a X800 series ATI card please post some benches when the beta becomes playable (supposedly the 18th). Hopefully there will be a built in demo similar to the Doom 3 one. We all know that Nvidia owned ATI in opengl but I, as well as others Im sure, are wondering how the cards will do running the source engine in direct3d. So go preload CS:Source and get back to this thread with your results!

Would we be allowed to do so with older cards? I'd like to inform those who dont have the most high end system, what it is like.

Sure, post your benchmarks and just let us know what kind of system you have and what video card you are running. Also let everyone know the resolution and everything you have it set at.

I preloaded it earlier today, I can't wait until wednesday.
but I'm expecting it to run like crap on my geforce2 :D

heehee, this ought to be interesting. I saw an article where the ATI cards were no where near 30% faster than the 6800s on the Source Engine. I'm not believeing anything until I see benchmarks from people here. :p

If the Nvidia cards can perform better than the ati cards did with the doom3 benchmark, I think Im gonna have to get a 6800. Only a few more hours and this baby is playable! A sticky wouldnt be a bad idea, hopefully a lot of people will post up some stats in here. I am really hoping that there will be a benchmarking tool, or demo that we can all run through the console, so that we can get some good comparisons.

First HL2 Engine CS benchmarks in...

Looks like those saying "Nvidia owns doom, but ATI will own HL2" were a good bit off the mark.. Looks like Nvidia does slightly better on some tests, and ATI does slightly better on others.. I call a draw - at least in this test.

So since Nvidia does WAY better in Doom3 - one of the major source engines being farmed to developers now, and about even in HL2, id say Nvidia would be a better purchase option.

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=1181

Sweet. It has been ages since I have played CS and can not wait for this all to come together agian.

The numbers look a little strange to me. All the tests look CPU bound (only at 1600x1200 do distinctions really start to appear with no AA), and AA seems to have almost impact on the X800XT.... CS really isn't very GPU intensive, but I certianly expected numbers different than that..

JigPu

I was thinking the same thing.. HL2 engine doesn't impress me from the beta I played, Doom3 engine is definately far better looking.

But the thing is, you bring up a good point, HL2 seems highly dependant on CPU like older games, and not pushing GPU's at all.

With the price difference of the GT and x800XT, the value of the GT continues to show through in my opinion, especially with the BFG with its factory overclock, the numbers should be great.

If they weren't lazy and did SM30, then i'd expect a quantum jump in Nvidia. But Valve seems a bit lazy with HL2 at times, I don't consider HL2 to be a true next generation engine, but Doom3 engine is... But thats my opinion.

Your obviously to blinded by Doom 3, HL2 also looks amazing.

Who cares how it runs on each card, it will own a x800 or 600. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, 1 hr past the release and steam has dificulties already...
BTW: if you are banned on CZ servers, will you be banned on CS:S servers?And NO I wasn't cheating! :argue: Thanks.

Back