• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hdd broken?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drewthomas14

i just started my computer today , and windows froze when at the green loading bar. i just thought it was a random glitch , so i rebooted. then i noticed i have no sound. i thought my a2 died or something . it wasnt even detected anymore. i rebooted . it finished loading the green bar and kept rebooting. i finally got into windows now. does this sound like a bad hdd? i know my oc is stable as i've tested it for 10hrs two different times recently. soundtimes i hear the hdd make a click noise.

edit: i am back in windows and have sound now. this is boggling me. i did uninstall and reinstall the soundcard , but i dont that had anythign to do with it as i was just playing games earlier today.

Last edited:
It could be hard disk problems, but I would investigate memory, heat and PSU as being possible issues, as they are usually to blame for causing stability issues. Perhaps back down to stock until you get the problem fixed.

well. i was just gaming for several hours with call of duty earlier. i've tested prime stable for 10hrs. i have a 550w sparkle psu and a good cpu hs. should i retest everything.? also it wasnt a random reboot in windows. it was right before the logon screen is supposed to show up.

drewthomas14 said:
well. i was just gaming for several hours with call of duty earlier. i've tested prime stable for 10hrs. i have a 550w sparkle psu and a good cpu hs. should i retest everything.? also it wasnt a random reboot in windows. it was right before the logon screen is supposed to show up.

Hmm... to test the RAM use memtest86 from www.memtest86.com. What are your PSU rails and your temperatures like? Make sure your IDE cable is in properly.

i dont have a digital mm to check my rails. i just assumed this sparkle 550w can handle it. my temps are usually 40c load and 35c idle. i'll give memtest a try again. i remember testing it when i first got it. i also just unplugged and plugged in all my molexes and ide cables.

edit: i forgot to add. i ran the wd diagnostic utility . i ran the quicktest and it passed, then i ran the extended test and it also passed. seems to be working ok now. i am still wondering why my soundcard suddenly dissapeared though.

Last edited:
my suspicion is that windows is being ghey. there are hdd utilities out there that tell you the status of it, and if its on the brink or not. i know for sure western digital has one for their hdd's and i used their software on a farkled 20 gig hdd. i did the test, everything was okay on the drive, i found out later it was part of the partitioning messed up on it so i had to re-write the drive full of zeros...lots of fun troubleshooting that one. :p good luck :D

i already know windows is ghey :p im thinking you may be right. just weird how my soundcard just dissapeared. also as i stated ^ after i edited, i ran the wd diagnostic thing and it passed . i think i should write zeros to it.

well with my 20 gig hdd, the motherboard couldnt even read the hdd size. the size of the hard drive would fluctuate after each reboot according to the bios. really strange, i just assumed it was virus filled so i wrote zeros to it, and it works just fine now.
oh BTW i didnt the viruses on it, i traded some $40 subs for a 700 mhz system :attn: i so ripped the guy off, but he didnt care, he wasnt messing with that system. he practically gave it to me :D

Back