• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PQI Turbo Series (2-2-2-5) any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There's no way it could be BH-5. It really depends on what ICs it has...could be anything, including ICs that can't handle the rated timings. It'd be nice to call and find out though.

http://www.pmimemory.com/turbo_memory.htm

looks like the timings are wrong on newegg.

they seem to have some fast chips there tho.

and i believe those are copper heatspreaders, saw them in compusa.

worth checking out.

EDIT: found a review, 235 @ 2.0 cas. on intel i believe, 2.7v.

http://www.ocprices.com/index.php?rev_id=216&page=2&action=reviews
"With a slight bump to 2.7V, the RAM reached a maximum speed of 455mhz at 2-6-3-3, which for this type of memory is a pretty great overclock. I tried more voltage and looser timings, but 455 appeared to be all the RAM had to give."

Archangel4life said:
http://www.pmimemory.com/turbo_memory.htm

looks like the timings are wrong on newegg.

they seem to have some fast chips there tho.

and i believe those are copper heatspreaders, saw them in compusa.

worth checking out.

EDIT: found a review, 235 @ 2.0 cas. on intel i believe, 2.7v.

http://www.ocprices.com/index.php?rev_id=216&page=2&action=reviews
"With a slight bump to 2.7V, the RAM reached a maximum speed of 455mhz at 2-6-3-3, which for this type of memory is a pretty great overclock. I tried more voltage and looser timings, but 455 appeared to be all the RAM had to give."
I just read in another thread on here that PQI bought out PMI, is it possible the stuff on newegg is good stuff and may not be tagged wrongly since it's branded as PQI?

what newegg is listing
http://www.pqimemory.com/spec.asp?link=/sc/PQI3200-512SBU.htm

yep pmi wasbought out and thier ram is considerably cheaper under the pqi name. the only chips nowadays that can go 2-2-2-5 are the the samsung tccd chips . if newegg has posted the cas correctly (2-2-2-5) then thats the only chips they could use..

flapperhead said:
yep pmi wasbought out and thier ram is considerably cheaper under the pqi name. the only chips nowadays that can go 2-2-2-5 are the the samsung tccd chips . if newegg has posted the cas correctly (2-2-2-5) then thats the only chips they could use..
so I may have lucked into some cheap goldmine :clap:

these are what newegg is listing as matched on PQI site
http://www.pqimemory.com/spec.asp?link=/sc/PQI3200-512SBU.htm
but not a single review at newegg for it :(

I dont know what chips appear on what, but I was told Samsung is good stuff

Very interesting, however, keep this in mind. At $128 per stick, that is $256 per gig. The Corsair, which you KNOW has the Samsung TCCD chips can be had for $283 a set, or $27 more. Do you want to take a $250 chance for $27?

Unless I had a little more info on it, I would be inclined to choose the Corsair, if for no other reason that I believe I would hold its value more because of the name, if you ever decided to sell it. Kinda like buying a Honda, and paying more up front, but getting more on trade in, versus buying a Hundai. Anyways, that's what I think.

Reefa_Madness said:
Very interesting, however, keep this in mind. At $128 per stick, that is $256 per gig. The Corsair, which you KNOW has the Samsung TCCD chips can be had for $283 a set, or $27 more. Do you want to take a $250 chance for $27?

Unless I had a little more info on it, I would be inclined to choose the Corsair, if for no other reason that I believe I would hold its value more because of the name, if you ever decided to sell it. Kinda like buying a Honda, and paying more up front, but getting more on trade in, versus buying a Hundai. Anyways, that's what I think.
hmmm

well the matching pair 2x512 is actually $245 for the set, true still not alot of difference in price but I feel like I'm counting pennies for a shiny new bicycle or something :clap:

I may give PQI a call and see what chips are used in these, then I'd know. But I really doubt I will ever be selling it, more likely to pass this rig down to my daughter or something.

My concern really has more to do with not having any info on it. I am right at the front of the line when it comes to wanting to get the best value. Depending on how it is implemented, having the Samsung chips does not guarantee equal performance, and as an example, I give you the Samsung "originals" that were included in the AnandTech review. They manufacture the ICs, but were last in every test conducted from DDR400 to DDR500. Now, how much of this was due to the test sticks being 2 x 256 vs 2 x 512? Some, I'm sure, but my point is only to use caution until more info is available. Contacting PCI is a good start. They may be able to hook you up to some "independent" (what does that mean these days) reviews.

I will give you credit, though, for finding these. Good eye! And now that the savings are up to almost 15%, they certainly become more attractive. Heck, now that I think about it, a bunch of us paid almost that much for Buffalo Tech PC3700, especially when you add shipping. Darn, this is looking better all the time.

I finally got to talk to a real person at PQI and basically had to beg them to tell me what chips they are using in these.... it's confidential is what I kept being told but I finally got them to tell me and the answer was:

Samsung TCCD

so that being said, they told me it's lifetime warranty and I can snag these for $118 for 512mb or $245 for 2x512mb

FATAL ENIGMA said:
I finally got to talk to a real person at PQI and basically had to beg them to tell me what chips they are using in these.... it's confidential is what I kept being told but I finally got them to tell me and the answer was:

Samsung TCCD

so that being said, they told me it's lifetime warranty and I can snag these for $118 for 512mb or $245 for 2x512mb

And you are waiting for what?

TCCD chips and looking good all dressed in black!

FATAL ENIGMA said:
so I may have lucked into some cheap goldmine :clap:

I dont know what chips appear on what, but I was told Samsung is good stuff

Yes sir, if what they told you is correct, you very well have hit a grand slam on this one. It is looking more and more like a real good find. Good job!

great find!

are you going to get them? if you are, can you post the result later?

i m tempted to replace my 1gb which won't go over 225mhz.

FATAL ENIGMA said:

Samsung TCCD

i couldnt find a number for support.. do u have one..

Ok, looks like we've got the makings of another "hey guys, I think we hit the jackpot" thread here, hopefully with a much happier ending. I searched google, with no luck. I thought I might search a couple of the other forums, to see if anyone has any info on these guys.

And I would agree with your assessment of the 4500...Hynix is the most logical choice. Did you happen to notice the voltage on these guys? 2.8v right from the starting gate. You know more about this high fsb stuff than I do flapper, is this normal voltage for Hynix chips at these speeds? I ask because the TCCD chips are all higher voltage stuff, even at the 3200 speeds. Just made me wonder.

Life would be easy for these guys if they just used the same chips for the whole product line. Just speed test and rate as needed.

Back