• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6800 GT -> 6800 Ultra Extreme

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nissmo300

I saw someone post this on another board:

I flashed the bios of my 6800 GT to the EVGA 6800 ultra extreme just now. I'm cooling the thing with my Koolance EXOS. The flashing process was flawless. The computer registers it as an ultra but it has the ultra extreme clocks.

I just ran 3dmark 2003 and I got 12,757 points... which i assume is good. I'm gonna try it again when i put my CPU at 3.6 GHz rather than 3. If you have a solid cooling for your 6800 GT i definitely suggest flashing it's bios to the ultra extreme... i didn't notice any artifacts or anything it wasn't even difficult. I got the bios files here: http://www.mvktech.net/download.php

post-49-1092727391.jpg
-------------

UPDATE: Stock clocks of the:

6800 GT - 350 mhz/core 1000 mhz/mem
6800 Ultra - 400 mhz/core 1100 mhz/mem
6800 Ultra OC - 425 mhz/core 1100 mhz/mem
6800 Ultra Extreme - 450 mhz/core 1200 mhz/mem

If you can get the 6800 GT to clock to the speed of an Ultra, how much can you OC a Ultra or an Ultra Extreme for that matter?

Last edited:
Thanks AVG, thats helpful. Now we need to find some people who own any of these and see how far they can OC them.

It's not mine, I said I found this post in another forum. Has anyone tried flash their 6800 GT with the bios of a 6800 Ultra Extreme?

My PNY maxes out around 430/1.25 but that's without any flashes. I'm getting around 13k on 3dmark03. I don't think I want to flash up, I don't really think it gives that much of a perf boost, versus what it could do to the card. There is overclocking and then there is reckless abandon. I don't want to end up with a paperweight.

My PNY maxes out around 430/1.25 but that's without any flashes.

That's very close to a Ultra Extreme. Good job. How do you think the BFG series overclocks?

EDIT: By the way what is the temp on it?

nissmo300 said:
That's very close to a Ultra Extreme. Good job. How do you think the BFG series overclocks?

EDIT: By the way what is the temp on it?

It idles around 59C and never goes over 75C from what I can tell.

My BFG GT will only go up to 426/1.07 water cooled at 40C. I may have just got a poor overclocker although i am happy with its performance. I have been able to go up a bit at a time with riva tuner, maybe the AS5 needs to cure a bit. I would highly recommend testing before doing this.

Nandro said:
My BFG GT will only go up to 426/1.07 water cooled at 40C. I may have just got a poor overclocker although i am happy with its performance. I have been able to go up a bit at a time with riva tuner, maybe the AS5 needs to cure a bit. I would highly recommend testing before doing this.

Which BFG do you have? The one with the reference heatsink or the one with the Double fan chrome one?

i have the reference BFG GT as well, modded my GT bios to give 1.4v and set clocks to 425/1.12, i am now able to max out at 450/1.18, custom cooled

hey Nandro, what water block are you using?

How safe/unsafe is flashing your vid bios?

Can you flash back to the original bios if you choose?

You can flash back to the original bios, but you'll need an pci video card to boot from, but sometimes that's not possible and you'll end up with a really expensive paperweight.

I like testing with vgabios.exe prior to actually flashing. At least I am relatively assured of being able to flash back.

Back