• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

raptor raid0 questions and raid5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
first im getting some sucky score with sandra with my 2x36 raptors in raid 0 with intel ichr controller.
all drivers updated.
32k striped i think.ive tried smaller and larger and no help.
i get 78mbs in sandra which should be closer to 95mb? access time 13ms

atto benches attached as i do trust those.the only differances in the 2 are the total lengh change as i was told to run 32mb before so i did both.

32mb bench looks great the 4mb bench blows.

what do you think ?

also im thinking of buying this:http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=16-115-015&depa=1
and running it in raid5 with 4x36 gig raptors as i have 2 now.
speed increase at all or will i loose to parity?

Attachments

• atto1.jpg
    atto1.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 75
  • atto2.jpg
    atto2.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 63
raid5 isnt worth it IMO. Your wasteing a ton of money just to see benchmarks.

Honestly, you cant tell Much different from raid0 and a single drive in basic applications. somethings will access alot faster, maybe gameing or loading of certian files. but its buying 2-4 100+ dollar drives worth it to you?

Spend the money else where.

I would get 1 74gb raptor and not worry about the raid0.

I spent over 600 on a scsi 15k raid0 with 2 drives setup and it didnt please me well, sure i got good benchmarks, but i didnt notice many things going faster in day to day useage.

Raid5 does use one drive for error, so your a lil more safe on that array, but the cost factor isn't worth the perforance gain.

Raid0 with 3 drives i believe is about the best performance you'd get, ive read 4 drives doesnt gain sometimes it loses a bit.

Sorry for the random thoughts and mess, but no one desided to answer, and i just drank a redbull. :D

The ATTO scores look good for the current array and knowing your insatiable quest for speed. Buying 2 more will have almost no effect. You should have the current array on the onboard controller now. This has better bandwidth available than the PCI bus. You could add another array to the PCI bus, but it will not improve the quickness of the OS.

The best available option for increasing OS speed would probably be to change to the 74GB Raptors, unless you go SCSI. The 74GB Raptors are probably the more cost effective solution. I usually go with single SCSI boot and arrays for speed or stability, but opinions vary widely.

I use nero for basic benchmarking, writing and caching a file - fairly accurate, and 78mb/s is about what I got. I was +- about 3 from what I remember. I just tested and I get 80,116 kbps on my raptor raid and 39,833 kbps on my 160gb storage drive. This sounds about right to me.

Edit: sisoft gives 73mb/s under normal use (aim, iexlporex3, kazaa, winamp with almost 5,000 songs playing on random) with 13ms access time. I don't feel like closing my stuff down to try and get faster right now.

Last edited:
First, you are too caught up in HD benchies, they are essentially meaningless. Second, raid 5 is slow as a dog, i mean slower than any other raid and definately slower than a single drive. Raid 5 is great for redundency and size, but that is it. SATA 2 is coming or the theoretical 300 MB/S which should boost things a bit. Your scores in atto look good, you arent going to get much better unless you go with 15k SCSI and even then, you need a 66Mhz PCI slot to take advantage of it.

ty for all the input guys.
many people dont agree on the raid0 in desktops,im not gonna argue it here.
ive ruled raid 5 out.

im gonna give a scsi u360 raid0 controller and this setup a try: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=16-118-017&depa=0

and 2x these drives:http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=22-111-126&depa=0&manufactory=BROWSE

hard headed? yes! i can use the space anyhow and also some learning of scsi parts and how they work will be gained in nothing else.

Back