• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a silent download pc what HD(silent)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jenko

Building a silent download pc what HD(silent) should i use thats very cheap and around 40Gb performance not a issue, as its going to be put in a old k6 rig that is going to be silent.
As you can see it needs to be cheap and silent,performance doesnt really mater as it only going to be used a 24hr bit torrent pc.

I have seen maxtor do a 40Gb,7200rpm,2mb HD for £30,or should i spend a little more and get a seagate.

First things first:

EDIT ANYTHING THAT RHYMES WITH -tazaa, wit dorrent Youdella, irk, taurus,..... get it?(No filesharing)

Then after you've cleaned yourself of your sins(Politician-style(Publicly)) you go ahead and get yourself a Barracuda IV drive -- Try Ebay.

wow tom sounds like you hate p2p file sharing...it CAN be legal. fansubs of animes and such are legal...dont think the worst of everything ;)

2nd note though i say if performance doesnt matter get a slow 5400 rpm drive then it will be as silent as a church mouse. some guy here was selling 10 gig 5400rpm drives if i wasnt mistaken?

BitTorrent itself is perfectly legal.

For a silent drive I recommend any Seagate Barracuda or Maxtor Diamondmax Plus - they have fluid bearing motors and their idle noise is in the low-40db range at its highest. According to storagereview, the Seagate Barracuda ATA V 120 gig model is the quietest, at 37.8db idle noise.

Edit: beaten by cack

Cheers guys except tom he he,Just got my old k6 III 500mhz down from the loft with 2 80mm fans one in the psu and one on the cpu heat sink at 5volts its so silent and for internet it is fine.
I didnt realise for internet and dowloading a good set up old computer isnt much differant then a super uber e-penis pc.
I have a 120Gb barracuda 2mb cache 7200rpm in my new built pc it is really quiet but out my price range,40gb will do as long as is silent

seagate and maxtor will do, anyways don't get any western digital 40gb, 80gb, they are loud

Another vote for the Seagates. I can hear a very slight whine from my WD. But, I can hear both drives while they are being accessed; but... thats only because my case amplifies it... ;)

If performance is not in question, you might try a used laptop hdd, most run at less than 5400rpm, and as a result they are very quiet...but it's hard to find a used one that is bigger than 4g.
I am currently putting together a box for web surfing that has a little Toshiba laptop hdd..(trying to make it as small as possible).
There are many used hdd's out there that are very quiet, I mean if you are using old technology, why spend a lot of money for a new hdd?
And on another note, Maxtor had a utility that would quiet down the hdd's(diamond Max's) but I don't know what happened to it or how it worked, but it's worth a looksee. Good luck.

Back