• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antivirus of Choice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Which antivirus do you use?......and why.

• McAfee

Votes: 45 5.6%
  • Norton

Votes: 181 22.4%
  • Other

Votes: 583 72.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I use avast!

It has been great and protected me from everything. Ever since I've gotten avast!, I haven't needed to reformat due to viruses.

Wow, mcafee is pretty unpopular. We give Mcafee VirusScan Enterprise to students for free, and I keep a copy on my flash drive, so that's what I've always used. Comes with the option for a perpetual license, too. I've found that norton tends to overprotect and slow down the OS, usually when someone brings in their laptop w/ a virus on it, the first step is to remove norton and install mcafee.

taken from this thread:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=410379

my post:

1. Here's my understanding of sir_LOIN's article, highlights of what the author said:
• Norton 2005 is ironic - much like viruses, it brings down to its knees even the fastest computers! A true resource hog!
• Kaspersky 5 revealed that when it comes to Trojans, exotic and rare viruses, Kaspersky is the leader of the pack. It found some that none of the others did.
• PC-cillin has also been doing great...although I find Kaspersky slightly better in terms of scanning.
• AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic 6 found the most viruses.

So even though sir_LOIN clearly says "AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic 6 found the most viruses," he continues to conclude that "Kaspersky is ... the best antivirus of them all. It's been doing great in my tests for years, it isn't a resource hog like Norton and it has a knack for finding things no other one does. This is the one that's running on my computers," he says.

Well I got a hold of a lot of them and run them separately. After updating their definitions, I found out that ONLY AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic 6 found five .exe files on my computer that were:
Trojan horse TR/FlashKiller.C
Trojan horse TR/ShareAll
Trojan horse TR/Dldr.Delf.BR.3

Norton didn't find them, neither did Kaspersky, PC-cillin or McAfee. Neither did Trend Micro PC-cillin Online Scan. Neither did Kaspersky Online Scan. I specifically scanned the infected .exe files. ewido didn't find them either.

So this AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic 6 turns out to be really something. Granted, it would have a nice graphical user interface... if we were still using Windows 3.1. It is u-g-l-y, but damn: the notion that I had Trojan horses sitting on my personal system... ugh.

2. What's the procedure to report viruses to the developers of AntiVirus software, did you do it? I cannot believe official web pages do not encourage or even have instructions for people to submit viruses those programs failed to detect. Is that not the #1 thing developers would be interested in?

I mean, look at this crap:

Me: What's the procedure to report a virus that another anti-virus program found but Norton AntiVirus failed to detect please?

Symantec: For the ultimate protection we strongly recommend that you upgrade to Norton Internet Security 2006. Norton Internet Security 2006 not only will protect you from viruses, it will also protect you from phising (sic) attacks, hackers, adware and spyware and other emerging security threats.

Symantec offers any new Norton product at a reduced upgrade price for its prior customers. To view your upgrade purchase options, please visit the Symantec Store Upgrade Center online.

Wonderful! Who said I wasn't already using the 2006 version?

3. Well I wasn't, I was using the 2003 version, but no other Norton version detects these anyway, I am now running AntiVir 6 on top of Norton 2003. When I click on a folder that contains a virus Norton can recognize, Norton reports it.
When I click on a folder that contains 5 Trojans I found, AntiVir reports it (AntiVir doesn't use up resources much it seems.)

4. Please find attached sir_LOIN's rankings posted clearly.

Attachments

• AntiVirusTest.jpg
    AntiVirusTest.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 186
AVG Free edition on the laptop, but realtime disabled... it's just too slow. I let Kerio do monitoring though. No protection at all on my desktop... I'm behind countless routers here at school, plus my own router in my room. And I are smart at teh intarw3b.

mdameron said:
AVG Free edition on the laptop, but realtime disabled... it's just too slow. I let Kerio do monitoring though. No protection at all on my desktop... I'm behind countless routers here at school, plus my own router in my room. And I are smart at teh intarw3b.

Firewalls only help against hacks coming in or updating installed viruses some out going viruses through email so a firewall is for something’s but it doesn’t replace good virus scanner

GO AVG FREE!!!

Yeah i used to use norton but its a resource hog. Plus almost all the Free scanners i tried found more viruses than norton. Do yourself a favor and get a good scanner. I uninstalled norton and my system ran sigificantly faster. I hate the new one the most, how it haults all disk activity untill the requested file scan is done. DOWN WITH NORTON!

mdameron said:
Bah i hate firewalls. p*ss me off they do! LOL my fater kept installing norton firewall on the main computer (has the printer n stuff networked on it) and it tottally F'd up my whole network. Latencies went throught the roof and programs couldent conect n BAH. plus a router hide the ips of attached computers behind it anyway so why get a software firewall if your already using hardware that does the same thing. Plus i forward half of my port through anyway lol

well.... i changed the AV i'm using. I'm moving to 100% open-source software here on my machine... and have changed from AVG to Clamwin. Clamwin is very good so far from what I can tell... caught 4 viruses that AVG, Kaspersky, AND Avast! didn't catch... all of them apparently loggers/keyloggers of some sort

AntiVir is free just like Clamwin but it beats Clamwin in tests, so why bother with Clamwin, is there something more to it?

AntiVir just released official version 7 a couple of days ago. It's free of charge:
http://www.free-av.com/

I have been using McAfee for as long as I can remember and have never had a virus (knock on wood) so I stick with it. Every now and then it catches something while I am browsing the Web, but nothing has ever got through.

Been using Kaspersky for a good while. One of the best I've used for unintrusiveness and reliability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back