• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antivirus of Choice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Which antivirus do you use?......and why.

• McAfee

Votes: 45 5.6%
  • Norton

Votes: 181 22.4%
  • Other

Votes: 583 72.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Other -> AVG Free
It's free, and it's good on resources which is v important for me.

I previously used Norton, but it was a bit too bulky for my liking.
[plus the subscription ran out and i thought i might as well just try free ones, although i found that with norton after the year's free updates run out if you just reformat and reinstall you get another year! {not sure if that will work with modern ones tho}]

But as previous people have said the best antivirus is a sensible and careful approach to anything you find/recieve/see etc, and to be wary of any dubious extra processes in the task manager.

LutaWicasa said:
The 2 big hitters would be Norton and McAfee....who do you use....and why?
the list is pretty short, no kaperski, no Bitdefender, no panda, no AVG ..etc etc ...

Norton sucks as mcafee does too, heavy, lack of efficiency, and expensive!

I use BitDefender 9.5 and I'll never turn back to any others :)
I have tested most of them, none is efficient as Bitdefender is!
I never get any false alarm, and never miss any virus, worm or other stuff of the same kind ;)

i686

blink922 said:
ESET NOD32 is definately the best one I've used.
hi'
yop, a good one but incompatible with a few torrent client soft :(
as azureus for example ...
but bitdefender is not compatible with µtorrent ...

i686

I use avast! home editon. I used to use antivir but they failed against a virus, so after my format i got avast :p

I run norton and avira, but thinking of switching out of norton. I have norton corporate edition, and doing what it was supposed to do, tried to repair a file, failed, and put it into quarantine. a few weeks later, somehow, the trojan managed to break out and doing what it does. It went on like that for a month, and neither avira nor norton could find it because it was still considered quarantined, and i didnt know what was wrong untill i cleaned out everything in the norton quarantine. been clean since.

AVG 7.5 is out now.

kaspersky (latest version) and AVG 7.1 didnt find anything on my network of over 20 computers.

upgraded to AVG 7.5 and it actually found a few things that even kaspersky didnt....

I've primarily used Norton/Symantec. I've been privy to the Corp. Ed., free from the Army over the past few years, but recently switched to AVG. Norton had caused problems from time to time and had a larger footprint than AVG. Plus, my free access to the Symantec CE runs out next Feb., so I figure I might as well start looking elsewhere to prepare.

Time will tell whether I go back or not.

NOD32 is the best i've used. People should get off the norton/mcafee... it has low detection rates vs other anti-virus progs... in large part because viruses are designed to bypass them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back