• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Transfering IDE Drives to New Sata Drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dicecca112

Gonna be buying two new sata drives to replace my two IDE drives. Transfering the music from my IDE drive to Sata is easy, but would be easier on my to just format that Sata drive instead of trying to copy my main OS drive to the sata?

Aren't there any Windows apps that will make an EXACT copy of one drive to another drive of equal or greater size?

I used an app called Carbon Copy Cloner on OS X that would do this, does anyone know of a similar windows app?

When your replacing the OS drive with another HDD that will be on a different protocol &/or controller, pressuming your not on a adaptor, it is best to format & reinstall the new drive so that it boots PROPERLY, its better than trying to figure out why it wont or why it takes so long to boot up.

Norton Ghost should work...

But, I would make a ghost image, put it on the secondary SATA drive, reinstall windows on the first SATA drive, then salvage info off the image. Or you could try ghosting it onto the drive first, which may work. Who knows!

http://www.norton.com/ghost/

Ghost does a good job, except when I tried to avoid a reinstall when changing HDD's in another PC, it wouldn't find the boot record to start Windows.

If nothing else, its good to use for copying a clean install so a full wipe/reinstall takes very little time at all - assuming you don't change any part of your system. Plus you can do if after updating drivers and installing 'core' apps and save the time of reinstalling them again and again.

I think the clean install is the way to go. Besides gives me some time to screw with windows, and if something goes wrong ohh well, I have all my info and the like backed up.

Back