• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

has anybody experienced this

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

atigamerguy

When i try to install call of duty my drive speeds up and then starts to vibrate and make loud noises. this also happened to the previous drive i owned. my drive is a mad dog multimedia 52x24x52.

when i try to install GTA2 on my laptop, (24x pioneer cd drive) the entire laptop starts shaking over, it scared the hell outa me the very firs time. GTA2 is the only cd where that happens...

it reads and installs fine tho :eek:

yeah with my laptop, my norton systemworks did it. I'd like to hear the right answer too. I would say the disk isn't as well balanced as others.

Yea, I had an old Lite On Drive that did that too. It would hum really loud and then the cd was really really warm afterwards. It was the only drive i ever had do that, but it ran fine.

Yah, misbalanced cd is the answer.

IMO better not to use those CDs. I dont like my cdrom shake like that.
It potentially can cause problems with time, you know.

I believe that 50x speeds equal about 10k RPM. CD's are stamped for profit margine - a few cents for the ENTIRE cd+packaging. There are instances of very cheap cd's literally blowing up at high speeds.

Try out someone else's CoD CD, chances are it won't cause as much vibration as your CD. In this case, I'd highly recommend backing up your poorly-balanced cd...

im telling you those cd's are possessed by the devil...
you will need an old priest and a young priest :p
i remember an old 12x cdrom on my sister's pc did that. REALLY scary stuff, sounded like a airplane taking off. well that pc is long since dead :D

Back