• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone have experience with the Maxtor Ultra 250 GB retail boxed drive, 1 yr warranty

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

karsten

Registered
Any experience with the Maxtor Ultra 250 GB retail boxed drive, w/ 1 yr warranty?

Bestbuy currently has these for 149.99, it seems like a helluva deal for 250gig of storage. Are they reliable? I'm just doing massive video storage, dont really care about the speed all that much. thanks much.

karsten

Last edited:
Well my 60mb DiamondMax Plus 9 is working like a champ one year after installing. Only noise is when searching.
I've owned 4 WB and one Seagate. Will only use Seagate and now Maxtor from now on. WB's always get a bit noisy after about 6 months.

gosh i have had one of those for about 6 months. i messed around and tried ghetto rigging a fan to the bottom, made contact with a metal screw and died. that was me being a dumbass, so i got another one. they arent the most lightening quick hdd's but for data storage they are perfect. one thing though, it is VERY power hungry. i remember on my current psu, it would not want to share the same molex cord with any other component. i kept on getting different readings in the BIOS on the size of the hdd with EVERY reboot. when i gave it its own cord, it rang up at the right size. without any cooling it worked the way it should and i think if you baby it with a hdd cooler it could last a very long time. good luck if you buy ^_^

Back