• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to buy a DVD burner.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joe Don Baker

I'm looking at buying a DVD burner here shortly and was wondering what is a good one to get. I see some 16x DVD burners on NewEgg, but I don't see any 16x DVD media. Is it a waste to buy a 16x when you can't find media for it? How fast are 8x burners? I'm going to be filling up entire DVD's with TV shows I've recorded onto my computer. I've got over 100 gig worth of Seinfeld, Futurama, and Family Guy. So I would like to have the fastest possible.

What do you recommend?

You can burn some 8x media at 16x just read the view @ cdrfreaks(i think). The new 16x DVR-108 from pioneer @ newegg is what im gonna get.

oh yea i have a question to add on to this is the pioneer one good too, the oen with dual layer 16x ?

I too am about to buy a DVD burner (when newegg gets them back in stock), although I'm not sure if I want the Pioneer 108, or the NEC 3500A. I notice the NEC burner will burn cd's a little faster, but that doesn't concern me because I have a 52x burner. The NEC is a couple bucks cheaper if you get it without the 'software'. Does anyone know which brand is better, or if there isn't a difference? The Pioneer has some fancy words in the 'features', but I don't know what they mean, or if the NEC doesn't have them.

I'd definately take the NEC over any Pioneer drive. I made the mistake of buying 2 pricey Pioneer drives and both died within a year and both had numerous problems even while they did work. In short I think Pioneer builds garbage.

Back