• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Dying" IDE cables?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doh boy

Ok, so far, I have had a problem with my drives where the drives cease to work properly. This goes for DVD-ROM drives, CD-RW drives, AND HDs.

And each time, the problem was fixed by replacing the IDE cable with another. But I never figured out what it was that kept killing the cables. I'm about to do my 5th replacement, so now I'm asking you guys, what can possibly kill a cable (besides, of course, abuse)?

Insects!!!

Or maybe you should really check your old IDE cables for clues, maybe it melted maybe it rusted.

I've never heard of IDE cable spoiling before. :D

haha

thats the weird thing about it though, NOTHING and i mean NOTHING seems to be wrong with the cables, it just....quits!

maybe some extremely isolated energy wave changes the behaviour of the electrons in the metal of the cables so that the electrons can no longer freely flow between the metal atoms, destroying the ability of the wire to conduct electricity.........HMM..... :p

but seriously...im at a loss over whats happening to the cables :bang head

Back