• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermaltake SilentTower

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

empty_skull

Hello. I upgraded from a 2100+ to a 3200+. I had a Globalwin copper heatsink. With it on the 3200+ I was getting 62 idle/75 peak gaming. Of course this was too hot. I was getting protection reboots. So after some searching I decided on the Thermaltake Silent Tower as a new sink. I mount this baby on using "thin layer" of articsilver 5. I am now getting 23c idle temps and 30c peak with high load. I've used prime95 and hot cpu to push the cpu.
I first would like to know if these new temps are accurate. I get about 20c in the bios and 23c reading from moptherboard Monitor 5. My mothreboard is an asus A7V8x deluxe rev. 2.0. So are these temp readings accurate. I believe they are because I run extremely stable now. I was just wondering if anyone else gets this kinda of performance with their cooling solution.

i dunno about that....with my asus a7n8x-e deluxe on my 3200+ with my sp-97 its hard to get in the 30's without a duct or sidepanel fan feeding it air

Lian Li PC-60 aluminum case
400w power supply
Asus A7N8X-Deluxe rev. 2.0
AMD 3200+ (400mh)with a Themaltake Silent Tower, idle temp @ 23c (17c in bios).
1024 mb (400mh)Kingston HyperX low latency memory modules. cl 2/2-2-2-5.
Radeon 9800pro 128mb
SoundBlaster Audigy Gamer (24bit) with 5.1 Altec Lansing speakers.
2 hardrives 1 80 gig/1 30 gig both 7200 speed running ide133.

The web link for the Thermaltake SilentTower.
motherboard monitor 5 gives me this reading.

mm5screen.gif

LOL all that weight hanging off you motherboard must be having an effect of the temp diode. LOL. Seriously that is a massive drop in temp. Almost too good to be true to be honest.

There's no way those temps are accurate unless your ambient temp is uncomfortably low. What's your ambient (room) temp?

Skull,
Since your readout does not include CPU usage, I'll assume that these temps reflect an idle ( zero CPU usage) condition.
Even so, that's quite a respectable showing from a unit that I found desperately disappointing.
Maybe I'll dust mine off and give it a second go...

The CPU diode is lower than the socket temp? That's weird.

14C for low case temp is also weird, unless your room is like a refrigerator. That's 57F. You'd be wearing a jacket in your room.

The delta between case and CPU-diode is also super low - too good for a middlin' heatsink like the Silent Tower.

I would say ... something's weird. MBM 5 or your mobo is confused for some reason. I think you have good temps but not *that* good.

the wesson

Back