• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Last Step

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shaine11

Registered
Ok After A LOT of reading i have finally picked out everything for my computer except i cant draw a conclusion on what case will stay at the coolest temperature. i have in mind the $172 Xaser III on newegg b/c it comes with 7 fans but i have heard people say that the temperature monitor for the procesor wont fit under the 3.0c. Also i have heard mixed reviews on how well it kools and last but not least everyone says it is the worse case to deal with b/c of 1million wires, which i would be willing to work with if it was gonna keep my case cool. other options: I am considering lian li case (will stay lower temp? and also the Aspire Turbo case but its only available with the 500W PSU which ive heard a lot of bad things about. And one more thing as far as the PSU i understand i need a certain type of cables for certain hardware in my case (3.3v/12v) and id like to know if with this setup the Vantec power supply i have chosen is the right choice. The main two reasons i chose it is cause i heard its stable and b/c it has extra long wires which are needed for the full atx thermaltake xaser III case i was considering. I was gonna get the thermaltake 480w PSU but i have heard the wires for the second SATA HD dont reach (how stupid of thermaltake to make a PSU that cant be used in its own case LoL)

ok now here is my plan and setup if anyone has any sugestions please tell me cause i havent placed an order yet.

p4 3.0 northwood (Plan on OC to 3.75)
Asus p4c800-e delux
sp94 heatsink
vantec 92mm tornado fan
BFG OC 6800 Ultra
Vantec 520W PSU
2x512 ocz pc4000 gold
2x74gb 10000rpm raptor drives (RAID)
Toshiba 16x DVD
LG Electronics DVD/CD Burner Model GSA-4120B
Samsung Floppy

I've had a few Lian Li cases and I recommend them whole heartedly. The PC60 and PC70 series are excellent and come with at least 3 80mm fans. There are pre-modded versions available with a large and sexy window on the side, seen here on the PC65. However the fans provided are rather quiet and would be pointless because of your (very very) loud Vantec Tornado fan. The latest offering from Lian Li, the V1000 and bigger V2000 has been popular recently for the uber-high-end crowd and would be an excellent choice. They use two 120mm fans for cooling and have an excellent air flow pattern IMO.

I recommend the aluminum over a steel case because it is not only lighter but the case itself and all the internal bits stay cooler because of better heat disappation. Lian Li is really the best name out there in cases, and by your hardware you are looking to build with the best parts on the market.

I also recommend ClearPC if you're interested in acrylic cases at all. Good luck on your search, it's hard to find the perfect case, I know, but if you want form combined with functionality that others don't offer, take a long hard look at the Lian Li's on the market, they never fail to impress.

edit: Lian Li goodness on the forums. Check out:
Vio1's V1000
020.jpg

and a sweet PC60 by Fushyuguru
Fush Zero
264.jpg

Last edited:
I recommend the aluminum over a steel case because it is not only lighter but the case itself and all the internal bits stay cooler because of better heat disappation.
Heat "dissipation"( I assume that you are referring to conductivity) plays such a minor ( if in fact,any) part of case cooling that it can be completely disregarded as a factor in the overall cooling solution.
I have yet to see any test that proves ( or even hints strongly) that one case is inherently cooler than another simply by virtue of the material it's made of.

Personally, I think that "aluminum cases are cooler" is just a myth.

Furthermore, many aluminum cases that I have seen in person (my old Xaser being a prime example) are so flimsy as to be useless. Manufacturers simply substitute aluminum for steel without making the appropriate and necessary design adjustments which results in a case that lacks structural integrity and is subject to racking and poor panel fit.
The CoolerMasters seem to be an exception to this ( as well might Lian-Li's...I haven't ever worked with one), but just saying that a case is "all aluminum" is no guarantee of quality or superior cooling behaviour.

clocker2 said:
Furthermore, many aluminum cases that I have seen in person (my old Xaser being a prime example) are so flimsy as to be useless. Manufacturers simply substitute aluminum for steel without making the appropriate and necessary design adjustments which results in a case that lacks structural integrity and is subject to racking and poor panel fit.
The CoolerMasters seem to be an exception to this ( as well might Lian-Li's...I haven't ever worked with one), but just saying that a case is "all aluminum" is no guarantee of quality or superior cooling behaviour.

The Lian Li's are also an exception...I bought a Skyhawk aluminum case and it, too, suffered from flimsyness. The Lian Li's are a really solid build, I read in one review that the reviewer accidentally dropped a PC60 down the stairs and it was unscarred!

Back