• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

somethings fishy with my cdrom

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EgoFumPapa

lately this odd problem has been going on with my computer. i have a lite on 52x rw drive, and it has worked perfectly for me always. i just got an abit ai7 not too long ago, and the problem is that when i boot up windows, the cd rom is gone from My Computer. its just not there. it wont autoplay anything i put in, its as if it was removed completely. to fix this, i have to use the add new hardware wizard and find it on the list, where it procedes to tell me my device is working properly, then the cd rom will show back up. ive reinstalled windows even, but the same problem was still there. it happened only once on my max3, but only once and never again. this happens every time i boot. im at a loss. this is weird.

Go into your BIOS and make sure the CDROM is set to AUTO under the IDE detection scheme, if it is already set to auto and the BIOS finds it then go into the settings and make it find it automatically then set it to Manual, press F10 to save and exit. This will "sometimes" fix ghost drive problems like your having. Hope it helps.

yeah i set the jumper from cable select to a master/slave setup. its on an ide with one other harddrive. it shows up in bios everytime i boot. im going to try out messing with some different settings. i heard it could be something wrong with the mobo, is that a possibility? that would not be cool :(

Had this problem on an Old ALI chipset board. Remove the IDE controllers in Device manager and let windows reinstall it. Some how on the old board the drivers got corrupt and doing this fixed it.

i just did what you said and uninstalled the drivers, i rebooted and windows put them back together, and my cdrom was there. it told me to reboot again which i did, and its gone again. everything is there, the drivers and all, the icon is what keeps disappearing from My Computer. its really tedious to search and add the cdrom everytime i boot windows..

ok ive been playing around now, and what i found was that when i had a harddrive on the ide cable as slave and the cdrom as master, the cdrom would disappear. when i removed the harddrive, cdrom was normal. i tried this with two different harddrives. this was the case with a master/slave config or cable select. i switched the cdrom to be the slave and the drive to the master, and now everything works fine. i cant explain why this happened, but i guess its ok now.

well theres your problem right there
i switched the cdrom to be the slave and the drive to the master
you were telling windows to read from the Cd-rom, and when there was nothign there it switched to the HD by default. It may have been for some reason, thinking that it was a HD. I had a similar problem. Single Hard Drive system, should also have the hard drive set to master, and if there are other devices on it, ie optical or whatever, they should be set to slave.

Back