• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid-0 Poll

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I dropped my RAID a few weeks before that article came out. I can honestly say i didn't see it faster in anything other than loading HUGE apps. It made windows boot slower, it was risking my data, i didn't like the idea of partitioning a RAID'ed set which is something i like to do for organizational purposes. Sure it was fast in benchmarks, but that's only cool for about 2 days. I broke my 36GB Raptors and put one in each of my main rigs, and i'm happy for have doing that. It would be my advice to just get a single 74GB Raptor as those are faster than the 36GB ones, and don't require twice the money to RAID them. This is just my opinion of course.

My RAID-0 performs noticably faster than a single WD SE 120GB 8MB 7200 RPM, especially when loading programs.

2 x Maxtor 120GB 8MB 7200 RPM as masters on a Highpoint RocketRAID 404
1 WD SE 120GB 8MB 7200 RPM for the swap file on a separate mobo channel

I like the fact that my RAID-0 realkly overrules any single raptor performance, and comes close to RAIDed raptors. The price per GByte on a raptor is 4x as high, to say. and since i need alot of space, the noprmal 7200's are my choise. If my diskspace consumption grows as fast as it did the last year, i will add another raided 200GB by summer next year.

The only reason I still keep RAID-0 on my desktop is for linear video editing.

Dumping video through FireWire straight to the 2x 36 GB Raptor array is faster than dumping to my old single WD1200JB's or to a single 36 GB Raptor.

Other than that, even after I broke my Raptor RAID-0 array, I noticed little to no difference in multitasking ability, program load speed, game load speed. Quite honestly, it isn't worth the risk of your data for a few measely seconds of load time. :)

That is why you back up, I reinstall windows so much about every 3 weeks so It really doenst matter to me, Nothing important even goes on my raid 0 array, i just save directly to secondary backup drives which is 2 slow as hell WD 5400 RPM 40 gb drives

Backing up all my data (320 GB worth) isn't really that simple, even with dual-sided DVD-R's.

I still stand by my statement that if you aren't doing anything that requires massive sustained (1 GB+) linear read/writes, RAID-0 offers little real-world benefit when weighed against the increased risk of the complete loss of your data.

I use em,I like em.I have dual arrays and an IDE backup drive as well.My 5 drive system is very responsive and there is no risk of data loss.My windows installation is allmost a year old and is actually a little faster then when it was first setup.Even with all 5 drives and two raid cards it was still cheaper then two 74 gig raptors and transfers large video files faster then they could as well.

i use it with my new 200gb seagates. I know its faster than my single 120gb hd cuz i when i playback recorded video from my tv-tuner, it plays smooth unlike where the 120gb is choppy.

Dc5e said:
i use it with my new 200gb seagates. I know its faster than my single 120gb hd cuz i when i playback recorded video from my tv-tuner, it plays smooth unlike where the 120gb is choppy.

your 120gb is fragmented perheps?

nah, i always defraged my drives and stuff. It just ran slower than my raid-0 2x200gb seagates.

Also my 120gb was a 2mb cache maxtor. Maybe the extra cache was all that was needed? :confused:

Anyways the seagates run better and are awesome at video editing

after reading a lot of posts and reviews on raptors. i have decided to just get one 74 gig in stead of two 36 gigs in raid 0. from what people say, for mainly a gaming system it won't matter and the 74 gigs are a better drive anyways. can anyone confirm this further for me?

the 74g raptors are a bit faster then the older 36g ones, but for a gaming system, RAID-0 might make a difference like it did to me. Loading times will decrease alot, and when you have 512 or less RAM, your framerate might even increase a little.

Back