What to buy with $500, what barebone.....

I am going to be spending ~$500 in a month or so and would like to know what you all reccomend I do with that money to get the best bang for my buck. I was looking around and it seems that www.unitedmicro.com would be a good place to get a barebone system. I am wondering if it would be worth the money to buy an Athon 64 3000+, 512 DDR 400MHZ, unknown on motherboard. I would like to get it to be $500 with cd rom/dvd rom and a small hard drive, but i doubt that will happen. What motherboards do you all reccomend and which system shall I get?? My 9800 Pro will be the video card and 420w Thermaltake PSU.

Oh and I have not used anything besides ide Hard drives....anybody care to explain the whole SATA ATA hard drive thing, the new mothermoards come with them from what I am reading, no controller needed?
    Last edited by 96redformula; 08-24-04 at 02:55 AM.

Forums Super Moderator
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor

10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by 96redformula

Oh and I have not used anything besides ide Hard drives....anybody care to explain the whole SATA ATA hard drive thing, the new mothermoards come with them from what I am reading, no controller needed?
    The current IDE standard is Parallel ATA - long wide ribbon cables.

SATA is Serial ATA, using thin cables, and a different power connection.

SATA is just a faster interface, although it doesnt provide much benefit as drives are nowhere close to saturating Parallel ATA as it is.
    David J. Nelson MChem(Edin) PhD(Strath) MRSC [ResearcherID: D-3927-2011] [Google Scholar]
    OC Forums Super Moderator // Overclockers.com Editor

The Workhorse: [Lenovo W510] Intel Core i7-720QM / 8 GB DDR3 / nVidia Quadro FX880M / Crucial M4 256 GB SSD / Windows 7
    The Home Machine: AMD Llano A6-3650 APU / 8 GB DDR3 / Lots of HDDs / Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case / Windows 7
    The Benchmarking Setup: Various LGA775 chips / Asus Rampage Formula / 2 GB OCZ 1066 MHz DDR2 / nVidia Quadro NVS 285 / 320 GB HDD / Windows 7 [ Untouched for well over a year ]

My research fellowship is eating all my time, so I may be slow to reply to emails and private messages.

you might want to look at the barebones avail at Newegg, they have a lot of them
    MAIN RIG - PCLinuxOS -Biostar A780L3G - Plenom II 560 @ 3.7 Ghz - Cooler Master TX3 - 8 gb Corsair XMS - Zotac GT 430 Fanless - 60gb Corsair SSD + 2 - Sony Optiarc SATA DVD Burner

Windows / Backup RIG
    - Win 7 64 - Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P rev 1.6 - Q9550 @ 3.2 Ghz - Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. B HSF - 8gb GSkill PC2 6400- Evga GTX 260 - Antec 900 Case - Rosewill RP550-2 550W PSU - WD 74 GB Raptor + 2 - Sony Optiarc SATA DVD Burner

HEATWARE 20-0-0

All I see at newegg are some little compact size towers that I definatly don't want............

I want to be a Beta Tester
    Premium Member #26
    10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    Directron

AAronix

Pricewatch Click on Barebones for some great deals!
    Thanks Knowles Tech
    My Heatware
    PC is changing to fast to list...
    I'm a beta tester :)