• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chaintech VNF3-250 impressions and questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have an Antec 3700AMB with front 120mm SUNON for sucking the air in and a back Antec 120mm fan for exuast, I don' think this temperature is right because I have oc'ed my system to 2300mhz and the temperature is still at 58c at max load during prime test..
My system temp is 36c

Whats the consensus on this board? Would it OC well with an A64 2800+, an XP-90, Delta 92mm, and 3 120mm case fans?

Last edited:
GravitonSurge said:
Whats the consensus on this board? Would it OC well with an A64 2800+, an XP-90, Delta 92mm, and 3 120mm case fans?

Well, like I said before - I'm running at 2.5Ghz with stock cooling. 250x10. That's where my chip seems to hit a wall, at least with this cooling. I've had very good overclocking experiences - the board has PCI locks, HT works at 1000 (250x4), and I've had no stability issues at all except when I was running Win2000.

I think you'll get a fine OC on your chip, but remember you won't be able to access the multipliers with the default bios. Just be sure to look for a CG revision chip.

Planning on getting a 3000+ CG (whered you get yours?), and PC4000 to ensure a decent OC. Thanks for the info.

I got mine from Newegg - retail boxed 3000+

In a few weeks when I've saved up some money I'll probably get a A64-compatible waterblock and try hooking up my external watercooling box again. Then maybe I'll be able to get it up to 2.7Ghz :)

For $250 the performance I'm getting out of this board and chip is really impressive. Hopefully you'll get similar results.

Sorry to ask this here, but I just recieved my vnf3-250 today and I can't get it to boot. I had it boot the first time I turned it on for less than 10 secs then it froze. Now I get a long beep every 3 secs. Does anyone know how to fix this and can someone point out to me where the cmos jumper is?

Catalan said:
I looked there, but it isn't specific on where it is...

Right there that red jump. By the way, those long beeps probably means your RAM settings are too agressive. For me, for some strange reasons, when I hear those long beeps then after i clear the CMOS, I still can't boot. I don't even hear the beeps any more and I don't get an video signal at all. I would have to remove my AGP graphics card then put in a PCI graphics card. Only then does it boot up.

Attachments

• cmos.jpg
    cmos.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 486
Thing is I never adjusted the ram settings...Cleared cmos and still no boot. So I guess it has compatibility problems with the 9800 pro?

Catalan said:
Thing is I never adjusted the ram settings...Cleared cmos and still no boot. So I guess it has compatibility problems with the 9800 pro?

I don't know if it has issues with the 9800pro. What I think is that when you reset the CMOS, one of the things that get set to default is the "Initialize first - PCI or AGP/onboard", the default is PCI and so it searches for PCI and never search the AGP. So if I put it the PCI video card it would boot. I don't need to change a thing, just simply Save, take out the PCI card and put in my 9800Pro and it works again. It only does that after a CMOS reset.

CordialSpam said:
Hmm I never had this problem before, I hope this won't happen to me when my 9800pro gets here.
I don't know Cordial, I tend to lean more toward my particular board rather then a general VNF3-250/9800 Pro issue. Why are upgrading from a 9600XT to a 9800 Pro? I'd go with GF 6800 GT.

Heh can't really afford 6800GT right now, I traded my 9600xt with a 9800pro with this guy and paid him extra $50 with Atric Sliencer on, I think it is a good deal.

If anyone was wondering, an XP-90 does fit on this board comfortably.

Just make sure to use the screws included with the XP-90 for the RM! The screws already in the mobo were way too big.

Hmm thanks this is a good thing to know, I think I will get the XP-90 soon to replcae my stock HS. Btw we could turn this thread to be "The official VNF3-250 thread" lol

Yes.. also, flashing the BIOS is damn near impossible. You need a program gotten off someone else's website to do it.. because the alt + f2 thing doesn't seem to work..? At least for me and a few other people.

Questions for you with the mobo who have OCed:

1) My RAM is DDR533 but shows up as 400 in the POST... does that matter if I want to OC, or does it have to be manually changed somewhere?

2) How do I activate the AGP/PCI lock, or is that already on?

Back