• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

woo more storage, but...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shuruga2

yesterday i picked up a promise sata 150 tx2 plus and a maxtor dimaondmax 9 200g sata drive.

first thing i did was plug everything in and i discovered that windows will not boot while the new drive has power. everything goes fine and the card detects the drive but when its time for windows to start the comp just reboots.

if i take the power out of the drive windows will start fine, but it took me about an hour to get the drivers in properly and now that they are there the card is listed twice in the device manager and one has a code 10 (device failed to start). i think that it is supposed to be listed twice, one for each of the sata connectors.

my setup already has 3 HDs and 2 opticals which means i'm using my mobos built in 'alternate' controller, is trying to use this and the card causing a conflict that wont let windows start? i havent tried disabling this yet but i will after work. could it be a irq conflict or something else?

i've disabled the mobo controller, switched one of the ide drives to the card and changed the slot the card was plugged in to. i did it all at once so i'm unsure which action was the solution or if all of them were needed, but everything is working just fine now

Back