• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Picked up a 2.8 800MHZ Prescott

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lotec25

Picked up a prescott last week. Was geeting tired of the old celeron 2.6 i had and this thing is rocking. I got it at 3.1 right now and it has been running great so far. I am going to push it harder just giveing it alot of time to break in and get ready to run a little harder. I have doom 3 running at about 50 to 60 FPS. And UT2004 is alot better now. Just thought i would drop a thread to let everyone know.

Thanks.
Lotec25.

Lotec25 said:
Picked up a prescott last week. Was geeting tired of the old celeron 2.6 i had and this thing is rocking. I got it at 3.1 right now and it has been running great so far. I am going to push it harder just giveing it alot of time to break in and get ready to run a little harder. I have doom 3 running at about 50 to 60 FPS. And UT2004 is alot better now. Just thought i would drop a thread to let everyone know.

Thanks.
Lotec25.

The only thing i could say is COOL IT and CRANK IT!!!!! :burn:

GL
Vflux

System is water cooled. Running at 30C right now. Here is a pic of it. http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=2772938&postcount=15 Got a 9800Pro water cooled. Seams to be running great just giveing iT alot of burn it time. I am going to crank it soon. After playing doom for about 6 hours the other day temps were at 32C. Looks preety good so far. It is running cooler then the 2.6 Celeron was. Thanks for the replies.

Lotec25

Nice! If I were to buy a CPU right now it would most likely be a 2.8 Prescott becuase that is all I could afford. I thought these could get in the higher 3GHz range. 3.6-8ish or am I wrong?

Lotec, even with watercooling, you might consider improving your case ventilation and maybe add mosfet heatsinks (see link).

http://www.overclockers.com/tips1179/

@md0Cer said:
Nice! If I were to buy a CPU right now it would most likely be a 2.8 Prescott becuase that is all I could afford. I thought these could get in the higher 3GHz range. 3.6-8ish or am I wrong?

Depends on cooling and how far it'll go before you have to start increasing vcore. My old 2.8E (first one out last February) did 3.4 gig with air cooling on default vcore. I got nervous about heat when I went higher, but it probably would of went to 3.6 gig ok if I had done cooling mods (see my article linked above). Same CPU on water went up to 3.8 gig (although it wasn't quite 100% Prime stable). Same CPU in a Prommy went to about 4.1 gig.

Cool another 2.8E user! I just picked one up about a 2 weeks ago now. Running it at 3.2 w/stock HSF. Idle 52c / load 67C / case 26C. I've had it up to 3.41, but was not stable. Water cooling will be going in this wekend.

My goal is 3.5 and quite. If I can get that, then I'll be happy.....for a while. <insert evil grin>

Such a big improvement over the 1.2 Cely........

edit: forgot to add it's an SL79K, Costa Rica chip

Last edited:
batboy said:
Lotec, even with watercooling, you might consider improving your case ventilation and maybe add mosfet heatsinks (see link).

http://www.overclockers.com/tips1179/

Depends on cooling and how far it'll go before you have to start increasing vcore. My old 2.8E (first one out last February) did 3.4 gig with air cooling on default vcore. I got nervous about heat when I went higher, but it probably would of went to 3.6 gig ok if I had done cooling mods (see my article linked above). Same CPU on water went up to 3.8 gig (although it wasn't quite 100% Prime stable). Same CPU in a Prommy went to about 4.1 gig.

Nice! Thanks for the information! :thup:

batboy thanks for the info. I want to add the mosfet sinks but i think i might hold off until i get a new mobo soon. I have a SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 right now and am looking for another mobo not really sure but i think i can find something better then what i got with the rest of the highend gear. Yea so far the 2.8 seams to run good the numbers on it are SL7KA. I will start running it harder this weekend and let everyone know what it is doing.

Lotec25

I got my 2.8E in June 3 days ago i OC'ed it to 3.0 and its holding like a rock not much of a temp increase or anything, no crashes at all.

Back