• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

COOLING SOLUTION (liquid)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GERRY136

new tower case on the way and ill be reinstalling my water.
de-ionized water, spring water? ive ordered water wetter also.
do i have to use the antifreeze if i use the water wetter?
any help appreciated
thanx.

Last edited:
You should use anti-freeze, with distilled water, along with the water wetter. Water wetter isn't meant to be used alone. I'm speaking from the automotive side of things, but I'm sure it applies to liquid cooling as well. The anti-freeze does 3 things. It inhibits corrosion, and makes a more efficient cooling solution, and will lubricate the water pump (if you have a diaphram type pump, it will keep the rubber diaphram from hardening and cracking prematurely). Water Wetter, is just an additive used to boost the performance of anti-freeze. I was also wondering if anyone has found the optimal ratio of anti-freeze to water?

train22 said:
Shouldn't you use some highly conductive liquid? Does nitrogen work in this case?
You'd destroy the CPU that way. There is such a thing as too cold. Cold makes the CPU components contract, and if they become too cold, the itty bits inside the chip will pull completely apart.

Um, Im still kinda new to all the water cooling and all, but Ive read every single article Ive been able to find and then a few. I thought that it was best to just use distilled water and water wetter? Well not real sure, but Ill show you one thing... Water Wetter

Now there it says that water wetter IS also an anti corrosive... therefore no anti-freeze is needed...

Ive also read many an article that stated that putting anti-freeze in rig can actually harm cooling performance... granted it will help prevent corrosion, but that shoudnt be a major problem with a water rig, unless of course your mixing metals (alluminum radiator/copper block). If I am wrong forgive me... However I am going offa other things Ive read... But that dont make it right...

H2O - Way to Go

It makes no real or substantial difference what water you use.

I have been testing for two months and there was not even 1 degree difference in temps. Water, tap or otherwise does the same job at temperatures under 50 degrees celcius and if your system gets that hot with water, your radiator is too small, or the wrong flow type.

As for leakige, i had tap water on my system and grafix card and they are fine, but remember prevention is better than cure!!

although i do not run water cooling i know a few things.
use DE-ionized / distilled water and water wetter
antifreeze will not help, and prolly shouldn't be used in water cooling for pc`s. antifreeze work in a car b/c in the radiator the mixture is pressurized, which makes the boiling point higher, and by having the antifreeze in the mix only raises the boiling point.
i have heard of some people having algea grow in the tubes, and waterblock which can't be good. also do not use aluminum (resovior) and copper(block) together, it'll lead to corrosion

Anti freeze doesn't help with cooling, it only increases the boling point and lowers the freezing point of water for cars, it's of no use in a pc watercooling setup

Phil said:
Anti freeze doesn't help with cooling, it only increases the boling point and lowers the freezing point of water for cars, it's of no use in a pc watercooling setup

actually it is of some use, it keeps creepy crawly things from growing in the water. Water Wetter at about 10% and antifreeze at about 5% should do the trick!

Re: Growths

popadel said:
To prevent growths in the system use chlorine!!! +/- one teaspoon for a 1.5 litre system.
That would make the water slightly acidic, but I guess if it's that dilute it ought to be ok. Still, the walls of the silicone tubing aren't that thick, and I don't know whether it'd be ok for long-term usage (like a year or more). It'd definitely kill any bugs though :)

Back