• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 x 36gb raptors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

austinbmxnig

I already have one 36gb raptor right now and an 80gb maxtor, the maxtor is really slow and has a high pitched whine that is super annoying, im cashing in my trust fund and want to get another raptor so i can run them in raid 0 ........will the performance gain be pretty good? also can i run them in raid 0 with my onboard SATA on my mobo *in rig below* gratzi

yes! you can use them as Raid 0 and for the performance, yes, you'll see a difference, because the cache mem of both drives are going to act as one so is going to be 16mb!!

um.. ablreck, in theory that may seem right... but trust me.. Ive run raptors in raid-0... then went to 1 raptor (noticed no differnece expect for the faster access time.... then i sold both 36gb raptors and bought a 74gb raptor... and couldnt be happier. Honestly raptors in raid is only good if you are encoding lots of stuff, benchmarking, or transfering lots of stuff... however for everyday use (including gaming) there is no difference in performance.

thanks, i'll put it up for sale for about 85 shipped as soon as i get the money to make up the difference

well.. that's also true... they work very nice with multimedia stuff, but for gaming there's not much difference*, I mean they are very fast HDD but you'll won't see much difference in games as you may expect, the load times are better and if you compare them with the regular 7200rpm hdd there's a big difference, but still if you want to encode, rip, and all that, I preffer them; still if you have the money and want the computer only for gaming follow Vio1 advice and get one 74Gb Raptor...

Albreck said:
well.. that's also true... they work very nice with multimedia stuff, but for gaming there's not much difference*, I mean they are very fast HDD but you'll won't see much difference in games as you may expect, the load times are better and if you compare them with the regular 7200rpm hdd there's a big difference, but still if you want to encode, rip, and all that, I preffer them; still if you have the money and want the computer only for gaming follow Vio1 advice and get one 74Gb Raptor...

youd risk a over ~100gb of files for a few ms and mbps?

i dont think so.

74gb raptor =$177~ > 2x 36gb raptors $224~

I would say also get a single 74gb raptor, as the only reason to run raptors in RAID config, would be for redundancy, if not RAID 5 config. Expensive, but fast and reliable, (so i hear.) But I think i am going to get 2 7200 Seagates and run them RAID 0 for my rig.

definately gonna get the 74gb, it might be about a week before i can come up with the dough to make up the difference but i'll probably put it up for about $85

I would go Raid 0, I ahve it and love it. It took 11 seonds off my boot time, now I boot in 13 seconds, I am very happy with Raid 0 and would do it again. I really dont care aout synthetic benchmarks, I care about real world performance which I can really feel a difference

thats my point.. raid-0 with 7200rpm drives is a lot better then just running off of 1 7200rpm drive.. its not the same with raptors.. raptors in raid versus a single raptor shows no real world peformance increase.

benchmarking and real world performance are 2 different things. Benchmark programs try and simulate real world usage, but its never done right...

Back