• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Molex Extension Affecting 6800 Gt Performance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Liquid_Cooled

i have a BFG 6800 GT and im running a 4 pin molex extension to it. Will this affect the power? i read somewhere that someone had trouble with and extension, his fan on his card made a loud noise, but when he removed the extension, it worked fine.

It could if the connector doesn't fit snug enough. Little contact to the pins causes resistance and possibly burn out the connector. I had that problem with a hardrive once. The molex fitting wouldn't stay snug after plugged in and the pins inside barely made contact with each other. It would spin down alot and spin back up. Finally burnt the molex connector and took a trace with it. I use one custom made from directron for my full tower case to power my BFG5900 and works great. Just make sure the fittings are nice and snug.

Back