• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the fx5200 faster than most of us take for granted

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would have to kinda disagree about the "5200 is crap". If you have a 64bit one, then yes, the statement is probably true. But the 128bit and the ultra(128bit as well) are a whole different ball of wax.

Overclocker550 said:
well guess he got himself banned after all. well I just bought a 9700 pro off ebay for a good price but if it cant outperform my fx5200, its going back for sale :bang head :argue: :rolleyes: :eh?:

lol, if it can't outperform a 5200 then hell must have frozen over.

look at the IQ in those pics posted of supposedly maxed detail and 4xaa. they looked horrible. plus, i bet he's seeing 15fps.

Shuzzy said:
i had a 5200 128mb and they are absolute ****. almost as bad as my 9200se :rolleyes:

sorry if this sounds as a thread hijack but im confused with this se 64bit 128 bit crap...

which one is better really? 9200 non se or the 5200??? i would take the 5200 given it "supposedly" suports dx9, what do you guys think?

You all need to reread my thread I said,
I installed Doom 3 and it defaulted for me at High, everything turned on, but I bumped AA to 4x and its at resolution 1024x768.

I played Doom 3 on Ultra with AA 2x and it stutters like a lagging online game.

Hopes this helps plan on going furthur with OCing this weekend my son messed with it today but he was only running one monitor, so i will play with both, Wednesday or Thursday. :attn:

i don't really understand why everybody give the FX5200 so much S**T...

ITS AN ENTRY LEVEL CARD PEOPLE, you can't expect a card that that cost $100 (a FX5200) or outperform the previous lines flagship (ie, Ti4800 or watever)...

Its not for playing games at 1600x1200 with full AA and AF!!!!!!!

Its mainly for people that build a computer and don't have onboard VGA and need a AGP graphics card!

next thing you know you'll be complaining that a Fx6200 (or watever the new entry level card is for the new Nvidia line is) can't out perform a Fx5600!!!

Think about it, you get wat you pay for!!! you are not going to get a "Gamer's" GFX card for $100!!!!!!!!

(BTW, all those prices are in Australian $$$, so it may differ depending on wat county you live in!)

pantner said:
i don't really understand why everybody give the FX5200 so much S**T...

ITS AN ENTRY LEVEL CARD PEOPLE, you can't expect a card that that cost $100 (a FX5200) or outperform the previous lines flagship (ie, Ti4800 or watever)...

Its not for playing games at 1600x1200 with full AA and AF!!!!!!!

Its mainly for people that build a computer and don't have onboard VGA and need a AGP graphics card!

next thing you know you'll be complaining that a Fx6200 (or watever the new entry level card is for the new Nvidia line is) can't out perform a Fx5600!!!

Think about it, you get wat you pay for!!! you are not going to get a "Gamer's" GFX card for $100!!!!!!!!

(BTW, all those prices are in Australian $$$, so it may differ depending on wat county you live in!)
Your absolutely right,thats why in the beginning of the thread most of us didnt beleive that he had Doom 3 running smoothly.
Now,there is some phenomenon going on here that makes this card capable of doing that while at the same time probably still acting like a low end card on other stuff.This is just a guess but I think it might have to do with the newer Nvidia drivers being geared for this game.Just a maybe there,I dont know for sure.

I'm running the 61.xx drivers, that latest ones off NVIDIA.com. I had to reformat my son screwed up the Beta machine last night with his OCing the video card and what ever he put on it, I reformatted the drive and installed XP instead of 2k,gonna see if that makes a difference, if it makes a bad difference then I'm going back to 2k.

I'm not sure why it runs good on my machine the Machine is as follows...

P4 2.26GHz slsk6w Coasta Rica *very overclockable* :attn: *purchased from Skip*
Abit IS7 i865 PE *may be wrong at work so not in front of me*
OCZ extreme latency DDR 3200 *2.5, 2,3,8* :drool:
XFX NVIDIA 5200 128bit 256MB RAM *MODded for cooling* :D
Raptor 76GB at 10k rpm :thup:
Windows XP Pro *was 2k when I originally posted with SP4*

Oh and for one thing, the Beta machine is a stand alone tester, all services are disabled, I disabled everything on the list at blackadder that I could and still run the PC, of course I will have to do so again this weekend with the new install :(

If I can get everyone to post over in the other post it would be easier, lol.

Back